• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 girls or 2 boys??

pih78

New Kit
Hi, this is my first time here! im looking at getting 2 rabbits for my sons and dont know whether to get girls or boys. ive heard lots of different advice. I went to see 2 boys today and was told that although brothers they would need separating until they were neutered at 6 months. I have now heard different advice and confused, can anyone help please?

Hiya,welcome to the forum,Yes, boys will need to be separated and neutered then repaired but it maybee it wont work.
2 girls is good and so are boy and girl.xx

Hello, :wave:

I found all information and advice confusing when I first becoming a rabbit owner last year---and still do :lol:

I have two boys, Merlin and Arthur who are mini rex brothers who I obtained when they were 10 weeks old. They have always been kept together but neutered as soon as their 'bits' descended which, in their case was at 16 weeks. They both went to the Vets on the same day for castration and now they are 14 months old and devoted to each other.

I was told that two boys are a possible pairing particularly if brothers raised together since young, as long as they are neutered as soon as possible

Hope this helps!

I have a girl and a boy who luckily love each other to bits. The rescue centre i got them from had already neutered/spayed them and bonded them, so all taken out my hands - so i would recommend you visit a rescue centre if you can find one locally and enlist their help to find a bonded neutered pair or a pair they will help you with.

If you cant find a rescue, do ask on here. there are also rescue centres on here (check rabbit rescue section) who rehome nationally within the UK (i am assuming you're in the UK?).

let us know how you get on

My best advice would be to get a ready bonded (spayed and neutered) pain from a reputable rescue. That will mean you know they are stable and bonded and exactly what you are getting. The rescue will also help you adopt the right rabbits for you home too :)

Hi again,

Yes, I agree with Saj too!

My two mini lops Tilly and Frodo (male and female) have finally bonded together with the help of Fat Fluffs Rabbit Rescue but it has taken a while and been very stressful!!!

If, in the future, I am able to take on any other rabbits, I would definitely get them from a rescue as most are neutered and vaccinated and you can look for two who are already bonded.

Good luck x

If you are getting the rabbits for children I would definately advise to go to a rescue as the rescue/fosterer will know the rabbits personalities so will be able to match you to a pair suitable for children. Problem with baby rabbits is that you dont know their personality and you can end up with rabbit/s who do not like to be handled (I've recently had foster pair like this bought for a child and handed to the rescue very quickly when one of the rabbits scratched the girl).

Back