• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q's for Ryedale hutch owners....

freddie&daphne

Warren Scout
So after months of pulling my hair out trying to make our cheapy too small and too flimsy hutch more suitable I've decided we need to just scrap it and invest in a proper hutch. The one I have is too small, it leaks and is generally just rubbish. I've painted it, fitted a bottom floor removed the ramp blah blah but it is still far from suitable.

Really would like to hear from anyone who has a Rydale hutch as to the quality etc. I have my eye on the single hutch number 10 http://www.rehutches.com/single-deluxe-rabbit-hutch-number-ten/ but will prob see if they can make it 6ft. My thinking is in winter I can fill the top floor with straw for extra insuation. Will also be getting one of the shutters for rainy days / night.

So basically before I shell out yet more money I need to know if they are as good as they look ie keep out water, reasonably warm etc.

Thanks!

They are amazing and the guy is SO helpful. Mine were bespoke 6x2x2 triple hutches and weigh an absolute ton. The wood is really good quality and they look pretty!

They are amazing and the guy is SO helpful. Mine were bespoke 6x2x2 triple hutches and weigh an absolute ton. The wood is really good quality and they look pretty!

Ah was wondering if they did bespoke because I really like the idea of the storage compartment but think if I'm spending all that I may as well get 6ft.

I don't own one but I've seen a few and they look incredibly sturdy, and I'd hope they'd last a long time at that price :lol:

If I had that kind of money to spend, I would personally buy a decent size shed :D

Fair point but we already have a large corner shed and a summer house in the garden so there's really no room (plus we are up for sale so can't have it looking too cramped). Also I was thinking a hutch would be easier to keep warm in winter too as it's a smaller space.

Fair point but we already have a large corner shed and a summer house in the garden so there's really no room (plus we are up for sale so can't have it looking too cramped). Also I was thinking a hutch would be easier to keep warm in winter too as it's a smaller space.

Sheds tend to be warmer I think, theyre like stables in that respect. They are also easier to insulate. Plus you can put a hutch in the shed to have a cosy area, you wouldnt just have a shed without any snuggle-boxes/hutch.

If you already have a shed and summer house, could you clear one out for him? Would make your garden tidier for prospective buyers too.

Sheds tend to be warmer I think, theyre like stables in that respect. They are also easier to insulate. Plus you can put a hutch in the shed to have a cosy area, you wouldnt just have a shed without any snuggle-boxes/hutch.

If you already have a shed and summer house, could you clear one out for him? Would make your garden tidier for prospective buyers too.

We did think about that but one is full of our girls toys, like an outdoor playhouse to clear some room in the house. The shed is also full to bursting. If we'd already moved I'd probably go with the shed option but I really don't want to wait as the current hutch is so poor especially in this weather. I might have a go at packing the girls toys into storage boxes and see how much room it leaves in the summer house.

Hello! I have a 6 x 2 ft double hutch for my piggies. They are very solid and very heavy (you can't dismantle them to move them or to get them in your garden etc - they come ready built, I can just about slide mine along with two people doing it but actually lifting would be hard!). I'd say they are pretty snug as the wood is so thick. Make sure you go for one with extra height though as the standard ones aren't tall enough for rabbits. They are initially coated with something to protect the wood but he says this will last about 3 months so they need painting with something else around then (I haven't got round to this yet and have just put the hutch out in this awful weather and the rain is running off no problem and none has gone in, the piggies are warm and dry :). They are the best quality hutches I've ever seen so worth the money. Hope that helps?

I have a Ryedale hutch and it's fabulous.

The makers are very helpful and they are top quality materials.

:wave: There is definitely a gap in the market for quality rabbit hutches. I can't rate Kernow hutches enough (link attached). Pilch will make them to your specifications - his email is pilch@kernowpethousing.co.uk

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?352008-My-latest-Kernow-hutch

They are easy to assemble so are ideal seeing as you are moving :)

They do look good as well.

I think I've decided to move them into the summer house until we move to keep the garden tidy and look at it again when we move, maybe get one of the monster 7ftX3ft ones. Thanks everyone for the advice :wave:

We have had a Ryedale 6x2x2 double and run for over five years. The quality of wood, wire and bolts is excellent and is like new despite some chewing attempts. I love it and would not hesitate to recommend.

Our hutch was personalised on request. We needed to take the hutch through the house and due to the size of overhang on the roof to keep buns dry they were able to make the roof detachable for us. They made several other alterations which were carried out just as we wanted for a minimal fee.

They were able to understand my requests without thinking I was bonkers!! and they got it right first time.

Back