• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A not so thoughtful gift?

lolabun

Warren Scout
Hello lovelies!

I have a close relationship with my parents, and I've been gushing about my beloved bunny since she came to join us!
My mom came over today, and she'd brought me a gift.
A hallowe'en costume, meant for Chihuahuas, pugs, and other small dog breeds. (The stores seem to be getting ready for holidays earlier and earlier, don't they?) She handed it to me happily and told me I could dress Lola up for hallowe'en.

While I know she was proud of this gift, and meant no ill intent, how can I say that it's cruel to dress up an animal?
Lola isn't a doll to be dressed up, she's a living being.

What would you guys do in this situation?
What's your stance on dressing up dogs, rabbits, cats?
Have you ever dressed up your pet? Did your pet seem to mind?

I'd love to hear your views and stories!

Put it on a teddybear! As uncomfortable as it maybe you need to tell your mum you aren't going to be dressing your bunny up otherwise she'll probably buy more costumes! It sound like she is just trying to encourage you in your enthusiasm, I'd drop hints for mre suitable rabbit gifts like willow balls etc

We had to modify a babygro for Poppy as she kept licking her spay wound and opening it :roll: she hated it so I imagine something like that wouldn't be particulary nice for her :)

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the animal isn't distressed by it. Buns tend to get stressed about things, though I did put a dog shirt on Izzy on a few occasions. He didn't mind but then he was an unusual rabbit. My current buns probably wouldn't particularly like it if I put a shirt on them but I don't think they'd be stressed about it, they're pretty laid back about things.

My dogs love clothes though. We only do it in the winter, usually just on cold nights when we're walking. Being in Florida, mine aren't use to the cold and they have no time to be acclimated to it since one day can be 80F degrees and then 2 days later a cold front can blow through and drop nighttime temps to like 30F. They wouldn't mind clothes in even the summer since we keep the house pretty cool but we just never end up putting clothes on them except in the winter.

I would just tell her you love the outfit but your rabbit wouldnt let you put it on her so you've put it on a teddy or something so it doesn't get wrecked.

Back