• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth grown on the outside of bunnys jaw

shelley

Mama Doe
Hi all.

Hope your all well. Apologies I'm not really around any more.

Most of you will know about the copious amount of issues i've had with Buster at the end of last year after an abcess was found in the root of his tooth which had spread to his jaw bone and the treatment causing lots of bladder and stomach issues.

Well today ive found another lump in the same place although this is going to sound totally bizarre, it actually appears to be a tooth, its grown out through the old drain hole that was created from the op on the lower jaw. The outer skin was stiched to the inner part of the gum (for some reason i couldnt quite remember) and the tooth was removed, theres now what appears to be a new tooth growing on the outside of his face... needless to say he has an appointment later today but i dont really know what they are going to suggest. It doesnt stop him eating but today he has had a runny eye hence i checked him over and found this. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I really desperatly want to avoid surgery as we nearly lost him under GA last time

Unfortunately when vets remove the teeth they can often grow back if they don't kill the tooth root properly, and often they grow back at strange angles.

I had this with my Herbies incisors, he had to get them out twice through ops and even now a peg tooth still grows out at a silly angle and I have to get that burred.

Good luck at the vets x

Thanks Kerbie,

Its so odd to look at, looks like a tooth growing on the out side of his face. Its not on the inside of his mouth at all! Roll on 6.00!

Back