• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

having to let my failed foster bun go back...

elis-mum

Mama Doe
i'm heartbroken. :(

i took on Angus and Rosie as a foster at easter (they were some of the 35 leeds buns)
sadly rosie died and we decided as long as Angus would be bonded in with my trio we would keep him.

i had him neutered, wormed and injected, left it a few months and Mick and Sue from the rescue took all 4 and bonded for me. they said it was one of the easiest bonds they had ever done and 10 days later i got them back.

i took it slowly with space etc and things seemed to be going ok.

2 weeks later i noticed bits of fur in the shed but couldn't decide whose it was. Buddy my male was keeping his distance from Gus but things still seemed peaceful. the fluff stopped and i put all 4 into boarding for 4 days when i went away.
i posted a thread saying Bud had been collected and had a big wound inside his back leg. he had to be stitched and seperated for a few days.

i kept him in the hutch in the shed so they could all still see each other though i do know this still isolated him. when i came to let him back out Angus went for him... he locked on and poor Bud ws terrified.

i spoke to Mick and we decided it was possible Gus had caused the injury in the first place. i don't feel happy trying to rebond, i can't have buddy attacked like that, he is too old and timid and even if it seemed ok i would be constantly worried and unhappy leaving them together.
i have lost faith in gus and it was agreed if the bond didn't work he would be rehomed as we first planned.

mick can't take him back for another 5 weeks but i have been so upset since it was decided last thursday.
gus is fantastic with my 2 girls and he was great with rosie.. the perfect husbun.
he is incerdibly friendly, loves strokes, nose rubs and is happy to be held.. he follows you about and has such a lovely character i will miss him like crazy but i have to put bud first and draw the line somewhere.

i look at gus and my heart just breaks.

I saw him on Rabbit Rehome and put 2 and 2 together re the bond.

I'm so sorry, it must be very hard to let him go, just take comfort in knowing you helped get him out of that hell hole and safe and he will get the home he deserves - I'm just so sorry it didn't work out with you and your rabbits :(

I saw him on Rabbit Rehome and put 2 and 2 together re the bond.

I'm so sorry, it must be very hard to let him go, just take comfort in knowing you helped get him out of that hell hole and safe and he will get the home he deserves - I'm just so sorry it didn't work out with you and your rabbits :(

mick sent me the link to his rehome page and i cried everytime i looked at it.
i wish you could sit and reason with them! he would have had a lovely forever home..

i am pleased he is away from such awful beginnings and healthy.
i hope he finds a lovely home. i have NEVER given an animal up but it was the agreement i made when we decided to try keep him.
i have no way of splitting them or getting another set up.
i have looked into everthing possible with regards to trying to keep him but it just isn't possible.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out :cry: You tried your best and I'm sure they'll find him a great home and a wife of his own. Sending hugs xx

angus is leaving to go to his new home on thursday :cry:

i have mixed feelings as he is the sweetest bunny and he has come such a long way in the 6 months i have had him, i will miss him so much.
yet Mick and Sue have found him a lovely home with a neutered female and i am pleased he can now settle properly in hopefully his forever home.

would it be cheeky to ask the new mummy for updates? i'd love to know how he gets on.

Back