• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for sealing gaps round hutch floor??

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I have just been painting the hutch, only painting the floor and 'skirting boards' in this one just as extra protection against wee. But I have noticed that there's quite big gaps around parts of the floor so just wondered if anyone has any good (cheap!) solutions? I'm not using silicone as it didn't work so well with the Lino in the other hutch. I was thinking of the stuff u can get on a roll like tape that's made for sealing around baths? Anyone know what I mean and would this be any good?? Thanks :wave:

Small pieces of wood tacked round the edges seems to be quite a common thing to do :wave:

Thanks :wave: Would need to get the paint out again then tho :lol: Going to go out tomorrow and look for something.

Why didn't the silicone work well in your old hutch? I silliconed around the link in my hutch and it has worked fantastically.....so I was about to recommend it then you said you'd tried.....:lol:

Why didn't the silicone work well in your old hutch? I silliconed around the link in my hutch and it has worked fantastically.....so I was about to recommend it then you said you'd tried.....:lol:

Hi, it's my other new hutch :lol: I used silicone but it all just peeled away :roll: Maybe I did something wrong. I managed to silicone my kitchen ok! Going to look at the tape stuff tomorrow and c what I can do. Pref need something that won't take an age to dry now aswell :?

Hi, it's my other new hutch :lol: I used silicone but it all just peeled away :roll: Maybe I did something wrong. I managed to silicone my kitchen ok! Going to look at the tape stuff tomorrow and c what I can do. Pref need something that won't take an age to dry now aswell :?

Oh - did you push it down with your finger to seal? I can't think of why it would peel - perhaps the hutch was a bit wet?

Oh - did you push it down with your finger to seal? I can't think of why it would peel - perhaps the hutch was a bit wet?

Yes I went over it all with my finger, tbh I was rushing a bit and it had started to go dark so I couldn't really c what I was doing :oops: Just wanted to get it finished so it'd all be dry for next day! I think as it was a bit of a messy job, the next day as I was trying to neaten up the messy bits, it all just peeled away :roll: I'm taking it out of that hutch and painting floor instead anyway. I might just use some wood filler on the worst gaps today (in the other new hutch!) and paint over it again. Annoyed with myself for not noticing it before I painted as I had wood filler out to fill some holes where the floor has been nailed together! Wanted to have done all the jobs where things have to be left to dry yesterday as weather was so good, and now it's not so good :roll:

I'd use aquarium sealant (basically silicone that is animal safe), which is what we use for our self-built pet tanks (and bunny spaces).

Anything that is fish safe would be rabbit safe, as if it is for use in fish tanks, it has to resist any nasties going into the water. Same with child-safe really, but generally speaking, children shouldn't be chewing silicone sealant! If the tape stuff says it is safe for such things, then it might work. I've never tried it.

For the bigger gaps we had, we filled them with either expanding foam (not a good plan!) or filler (much better, but not good for very large gaps, ie 5cm wide or so!), with sealant over the top of both once the foam/filler had dried.

Back