• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected additions

Jaysmonkey

Wise Old Thumper
On Sunday at 8pm me and Jay received a phone call from one of Jay's brothers, over the past week he's seen domestic rabbits running around the dentists surgery gardens next to door to his house. He spoke to the receptionist at the dentists and apparently the rabbits have been running around the grounds for several weeks and they were believed to have come from a house 2 doors down. On Sunday night, Jay's brother was reversing but stopped when he saw a little bunny in the middle of the road, he got out and managed to catch the little bunny, but there were actually 2 bunnies and the second got away. He phoned me and Jay, and we advised he needed to catch the second, thankfully he managed to, he then proceeded to take them to the house where he believed they had 'escaped from'. He told the 'owners' their rabbits had escaped and the 'owners' claimed all their bunnies were free-range. Jay's brother then asked whether this was the case on a night and apparently the 'owner' didn't even possess a hutch, and in fact had several un-neutered rabbits, un vaccinated running around in their back garden with no shelter and no easy access to water. The lady at the house told Jay's brother the 'keep the rabbits, she didn't want them...'

So Jay's brother thought he could drop them straight off at a rescue..me and Jay obviously said this wasn't possible. We have a spare hutch and we said since he has a baby, 2 cats and 2 bunnies of his own, that we would house them for the night and contact rescues in the area the next day.

At 10pm on Sunday, Jay's brother got to our house with a cardboard box and 2 bunnies. Now I expected these bunnies to be quite big, I was in for a shock, they look around 8 weeks and are teeny tiny lionheads, one is ginger the other is harlequin-y. They are incredibly boney, but are eating hay and pellets, drinking, pooping and weeing. They also incredibly friendly.

The plan was to phone the rescues around our area yesterday after my parents had visited us (they were picking up the big ladder we borrowed from them). My mum and dad came and saw the little bunnies and my mum was overcome. The bunnies now have a new forever home, where they will be loved and looked after very well by my parents as indoor house bunnies.

The bunnies are still currently residing at my house until my parents can bunny proof a bedroom for the little babies.

Anywho if Jay's brother had not have caught these little babies..who knows where they would be. Sadly there would appear to be many other bunnies at risk in this persons garden. Jay's brother reported them to the RSPCA yesterday, however I am unsure as to whether there is anything else that can be done?

Many might not class these bunnies are 'rescues' but without Jay's brothers intervention I'm pretty certain these bunnies wouldn't be alive right now:(.

So here they are, I'm unsure of exact age, or gender, however I know they are too young to 'do the naughty' and my parents are able to separate fairly soon and I also have two hutches here for the time being.

For now...here's temporarily named - Toffee and Treacle. :oops:

Toffee - with harlequin markings (very weak markings)
SDC19070.jpg

Treacle
SDC19061.jpg

Together
SDC19058.jpg

SDC19073.jpg

PS - Don't worry have quarantined from my bunnies :)

Aw poor little things, glad they are safe and have a forever home now :love:

Do they have names yet?

Well my mum and dad were throwing names about here and there yesterday..but I think for now it's Treacle and Toffee.. since they don't know genders it's just unisex names for now..me and Jay thought the brown nose one looks like an Erica/Eric though..but hey it's not my decision :p.

I just can't believe how hectic this weekend has been, I never anticipated having 2 baby bunnies in my back garden!! :lol:

and...I never thought my parents would take them on...think they must like their grand-bunnies visiting :love: and needed some bunnies to love of their own.

Well my mum and dad were throwing names about here and there yesterday..but I think for now it's Treacle and Toffee.. since they don't know genders it's just unisex names for now..me and Jay thought the brown nose one looks like an Erica/Eric though..but hey it's not my decision :p.

I just can't believe how hectic this weekend has been, I never anticipated having 2 baby bunnies in my back garden!! :lol:

and...I never thought my parents would take them on...think they must like their grand-bunnies visiting :love: and needed some bunnies to love of their own.

Yeah, I can relate to that feeling, most of my animals have arrived in such a way!

Good luck with them, don't forget to post updates and pictures :D

Bless you so much Stef and Jay's brother :love:

Glad your parents are taking them on, at least you know they'll be well looked after :love:

Thanks guys. I was prepared to foster for a rescue if they didn't have space as I know that rescues are packed out at the moment, I'll be sure to keep getting updates and pictures, all being well they'll be moving over to my parents next weekend.

I just can't believe the lady who 'owned' them and I really hope something can be done for all the other bunnies in her 'care'..if you can call it 'care'? :( Just to add this isn't a quiet area - it's actually just off the main busy road that leads to Roundhay Park in Leeds, so any bunnies are at great risk :(

OMG they are adorable, so pleased you came together to help these bunnies and they have a great forever home with your parents :love::love::love:

They are so cute :love: they'll have a lovely home with your parents :love: especially living the indoor life!! :love:

The RSPCA can get involved if they don't have access to shelter or house, food and water can't they? And in rabbits case, hay? I saw it on an RSPCA animal rescue programme.

They are so cute :love: they'll have a lovely home with your parents :love: especially living the indoor life!! :love:

The RSPCA can get involved if they don't have access to shelter or house, food and water can't they? And in rabbits case, hay? I saw it on an RSPCA animal rescue programme.

I wasn't sure if it was 'shelter' but I hoped it was yes. Well Sean - Jay's brother rang RSPCA yesterday so I can only hope something is done, these bunnies are free-ranging the whole garden but have no access to a hutch or water bowl afaik, just grass and of course they're unneutered/unvaccinated and the garden is evidently not bunny proof :(. I just can't comprehend the logic in this situation, it makes no sense to me :(

I'll attempt to get an idea for gender tonight. Just got my mum a snugglesafe and other bits from zooplus, she's so excited bless her. I got an email saying 'did you send the pictures of my babies to my home email, because I'm not seeing them on my work email...' I had to tell her I hadn't even sent the pictures or uploaded them yet :lol:.

Aww they've gorgeous and good on you all (and your mum and dad) for taking them on:thumb: Maybe if the dentist surgery puts a call in too something might be done about the other ones?

Hehe, thanks guys. Bunnies poos are now big and golden which is surprise as they're so tiny themselves :lol:. Both are so sweet and friendly, Gracie was sat watching them yesterday evening through the french windows...she's so huge in comparison to them :lol:.

My mum and dad are very dear :p x

Back