• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New partner?!

My rabbit cinnamon had a partner, snickers, he passed away on friday. I'm wondering how soon I should get her a partner or if I should even get a new one at all? I'm very scared of her getting depressed and lonely. She's an extremely playful and young rabbit, snickers was much older than her and I want to make sure she stays happy even after this loss. please help!!

So sorry about your loss :-(

How old is cinnamon? In my opinion, bunnies should live together in a pair.
If it feels right for you get another bunny for cinnamon.

I had Millie for nearly a year and a half when I rescued Todd to give her a husbun and I have never looked back since.
Millie and Todd got on from day one with no aggressive behaviour or any kind of aggression at all.
Within the 3 weeks Todd been with me, Millie and Todd bonded themselves, I sat in the garden keeping an eye on them as they got free range of the garden.

I say, go for it :)
Good luck x

Hi there, Sorry for your loss.

We lost Perdy at the start of July and waited about 6 weeks before getting Iggy a new friend (which didnt work out) and we got a second new friend on Sunday.

Iggy is older and after losing perdy I was really reluctant to get another rabbit but he started to appear withdrawn and was refusing to leave the bedroom. I hope we have Iggy for another few years and with me being at work in the day, it makes me worry less that he will be lonely now we have betty.

I think personally it depends on the rabbit. Iggy had had a perdy for most of his life and I think missed rabbit company.

I have a friend who had a bonded pair and one died a couple of years ago and she decided not to get him a friend. He is a happy bunny on his own.

Some rabbits can get really angry and depressed if they have several bondmates who die. I'd definitely recommend getting one who is a similar age so he doesn't have to go through that again. There are rabbits who are content to be rebonded a day after the their friend passed away, while others can take much more time to mourn. It doesn't mean anything about how much they loved their deceased partner, instead it's based on their personality and coping skills. My rabbit (Toshi) didn't binky for several weeks after he had lost his friend and he was much more scared then he had been. This coming from a young bunny who wasn't scared of anything and whose binkies were sky high.

Before finding a new bondmate, I'd give both yourself and your current bunny time to mourn. Spend lots of time cuddling with him and feeding him vegetables. Give him time to feel sad, but if it is lasting too long or he's refusing to eat, then prioritize finding him a bondmate. You don't want him to associate a new bunny with being scared/ sad and you don't want him to withdraw.

Thank you all so much. She has witnessed death before but her and that rabbit didnt get along at all. humphrie, she was the baby of the 3, the newest to our family. she was on antibiotics and I was being hospitalized due to morning sickness so I left my roommate in charge, came home and she had passed....I dont let anyone watch my rabbits anymore. Do you think humphrie had an effect on her even though they didnt get along? this was back in march.

Back