• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dinky has kidney failure :(

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I have been a bit worried about Dinky for a while and it was confirmed last week that it's his kidneys, probably caused by the EC (he recovered from head tilt recently :(

Basically the vet said there wasn't too much that can be done, we are trying anabolic steroids and adjusting his diet to try and keep as much weight as possible on him. Does anyone have any other advice? I have read about Fortekor being used, does anyone have info about it's use?

I am so gutted, he is 5 so not even that old :(

Also does any have any idea of timescales I can expect? He has lost a lot of weight and drinks a lot, my vet reckons he has lost at least 70% kidney function :(

Hi, I've recently lost 2 rabbits where kidney failure has been involved.
We lost Thumper a couple of months ago, he lost a lot of weight and was peeing a lot, bloods showed he was in kidney failure, I think ( certainly with cats) there has to be about 70% kidney loss before it shows in the blood. I used fortekor and we gave him sub cut fluids twice a day, as well as anabolic steroids. I enquirer on here and Rodneyvet was very helpful- I don't know how to display old threads on this one but it's in rabbit health and is about Thumper- I'll go and see if I can bring it up for you.
Mitzi also had renal failure and was on the above medication ( except sub cut fluids because she was not dehydrated) but she also had mammary cancer and uterine tumours and we lost her to a combination of the 3.

Hi, I've recently lost 2 rabbits where kidney failure has been involved.
We lost Thumper a couple of months ago, he lost a lot of weight and was peeing a lot, bloods showed he was in kidney failure, I think ( certainly with cats) there has to be about 70% kidney loss before it shows in the blood. I used fortekor and we gave him sub cut fluids twice a day, as well as anabolic steroids. I enquirer on here and Rodneyvet was very helpful- I don't know how to display old threads on this one but it's in rabbit health and is about Thumper- I'll go and see if I can bring it up for you.
Mitzi also had renal failure and was on the above medication ( except sub cut fluids because she was not dehydrated) but she also had mammary cancer and uterine tumours and we lost her to a combination of the 3.

great thanks I will search for it

No advice either but now it's diagnosed I hope you are able to give Dinky as good a quality of life for as long as possible.

We here (me and Artie) know only too well the devastation of EC on kidneys.:(

I hope it helps, I've had many cats with renal failure and with treatment I believe it has extended their quality of life.

I've no experience of this, but I had a guinea pig with gradual kidney failure (that's not the technical term!). She was treated every two weeks with an anabolic steroid, which definitely helped give her a boost. She also had a vitamin B injection, but that didn't do anything, so was discontinued. It turned out in her case there was a heart condition as well, and she eventually had a heart attack. In terms of timing, it's probably not relevant, as it was a guinea pig, but the treatment went on approximately May to October.

Thinking of you x

Our Pudding (cat) has been in chronic renal failure for a year now, and her levels are holding steady, we caught her early so hopefully she will be comfortable for a good time yet.

Our Pudding (cat) has been in chronic renal failure for a year now, and her levels are holding steady, we caught her early so hopefully she will be comfortable for a good time yet.

Unfortunately our old vets diagnosed something else and treatment was at the end. Still makes us upset 3 years later.

Lousie hopefully Dinky will be fine on meds.

It is hard, we've only learned through experience and get cats over 10 blood sampled at their vaccination to check for renal failure and hyperthyroidism. We also always check hyperthyroid cats for kidney failure when they get their routine bloods done to monitor thyroid levels.
Sadly we have learnt through having so many old cats over the last few years.

It is hard, we've only learned through experience and get cats over 10 blood sampled at their vaccination to check for renal failure and hyperthyroidism. We also always check hyperthyroid cats for kidney failure when they get their routine bloods done to monitor thyroid levels.
Sadly we have learnt through having so many old cats over the last few years.

I knew something was wrong. When her back area was becoming thin but the rest of her was alright, an early sign of kidney problems. For the last 6 years she was on a reduced diet, with not much success. She was 17.5. At first the vet thought I was worrying too much. Initially she was treated for thyroid problems but she started drinking excessively.

Poor Dinky :cry:

I have had Renal Rabbits on Anabolic Steroid injections, Fortekor and Vitamin B injections. Subcutaneous fluids were also needed at times. I also made some dietary changes - moderating calcium intake and minimizing phosphates- so no Carrots, Tomatoes or Bananas

Good news that the appetite is still OK. With my guinea pig, I had to syringe feed Critical Care several times a day every day, on top of her food intake (she went very picky), in order to maintain anything like a decent weight.

I am so sorry to read about Dinky.

Wesley had kidney failure and x-rays following the bloods showed stones in both kidneys too :( He was put on fortekor among other things and the vet was hopeful he would have 6 months but I think it was only 10 days before he lost his fight. As you know he had lots of other problems too poor boy.:(

Our exotics vet recommended adding berocca to his water. He loved it, but whether it made a difference, who knows.

Thinking of you and Dinky xx

Back