• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weldmesh - 19 gauge or 16 gauge?????

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Which do I want? 16 is thicker than 19 but not sure what I've got on my current kennel. What have other people bought?

A lot of hutch manufacturers (eg Happy Hutch and Rabbit Hutch Shop) use 19g. It's said to be fox proof but I've seen a photo on RU of a HH hutch with mangled mesh from a fox. I've just been doing an avairy-type home and I've used 16g to be on the safe side, if I'm making it myself I'd always choose the stronger.

I have always bought 19 gauge as it is so much easier to cut and get flat than 16 gauge when building our aviaries. In fact I bought a roll off ebay today :wave:

Obviously thicker is better but if it is really hard to use then its not a lot of use to me!

I've been looking at Ebay for it too! Mmmm - now I don't know what to do. Thicker is safer but if it's harder to work with, I need to cut a 5 foot length of it so not sure I'll manage the 16 gauge. Off to have another look at Ebay...............................

I've been looking at Ebay for it too! Mmmm - now I don't know what to do. Thicker is safer but if it's harder to work with, I need to cut a 5 foot length of it so not sure I'll manage the 16 gauge. Off to have another look at Ebay...............................

Is that all you need? I am sure we could spare 5ft

Back