• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Would You Do?

Janey

Warren Veteran
I a have posted recently about how I have ended up with a third rabbit (it was a heart over head moment) bunny not being kept in an ideal environment, my Mum said if the bond didn't work with my pair she could live in her garden.

To cut a long story short I tried to bond myself on Friday and don't have he confidence, I have asked somebody if they can bond for me and they will give it a try, however, I have my worries about this.

I have a happy pair and Poppy isn't in the best health, she has dental issues and is 6 years old,her teeth are *just* under control on a day to day basis, is it worth risking her health for the happiness of my new bunny? How likely is it the bonding will make Poppy poorly?

New bunny Pixie LOVES company, she was outside before and since she has been in my lounge she spends a lot of her time on my knee on the sofa, she could live out in a hutch in my Mum's garden but she obviously won't get the same company as now, I can only imagine she would be sad.

So ....what would you do?

1: Try the bond and risk Poppy's health
2: Don't risk it and keep Pixie outside (alone)
3: Rehome Pixie (I have NO idea how or where).

Unfortunately a second rabbit to keep Pixie company outside isn't an option. I realise I was silly to take her on but I wanted to give her a chance, she could go back to where she came from so I wasn't been totally irresponsible, I would just like to avoid that because she was barked at by dogs and very lonely.

She is THE most amazing rabbit, I almost feel like she is trying to prove herself too me :cry:

Hmm, it's hard. I don't think that 6 years old is terribly old though, your Poppy could well have another 4-6 years left in her :D What is the third rabbit in the pair like?

I think if it was me, I would try to bond them on totally neutral territory (maybe your mum's house would work?). That way, if it didn't work, hopefully your pair would be able to settle back into their original home without too many issues.

I think bonding is so hard but I think that you just have to try it, otherwise, you'll never know.

:( could you keep her as a single house bunny?
My main worry health wise would be if Poppy is prone to stasis, the process of bonding can def. be stressful and high risk in stasis prone bunnies. If it's just dental issues I wouldn't be too concerned and think it worth a try. You know your bunny best though. xx

Thanks both.

Second bunny in pair is submissive little boy, I *think* the main issues would be between Pixie and Poppy, however their is obviously no telling. The reason I gave up on my 'bonding' was because Poppy & Peter started chasing each other but I have since learnt that is pretty normal and I am a complete woose (I lasted 60 secs max :oops:)

Despite several periods of not eating throughout her life Poppy hasn't ever really had a problem with stasis (bar once where they both seemed to get a virus), once the pain has subsided she starts to eat again, we have been very lucky in that respect so far.

Poppy & Pete are also inside and having Pixie separately inside isn't really an option, that is how it is at the moment and Poppy and Peter are locked in their room which I don't feel is fair, it is a double room but I like them to be able to go where they want. I only live in a 2-bed flat and it's feeling a tad snug at the moment. I feel I'm barely Pop & Pete because they can't roam as they usually do. Plus when I'm at work Pixie would be in a dog crate all day (and night) so would be just out in the evening, and when I have evening meetings she may only get a couple of hours out a day...not really fair on her.

So ....what would you do?
I travel hopefully... until something is proved otherwise. ;)

I like to be aware of pitfalls (Pixie and Poppy not getting on and it being a bit stressful for Poppy) but I always hope for the best - but prepare to enable the best to happen.

I think if you are very tense and stressed yourself, the bonding will be more difficult. I'm sure the buns would pick up on it and perhaps be more fearful themselves. So: what Frisky Clover said, really. :thumb:

Back