• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I bring Rupert inside?

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
As India has just passed away it means Rupert is outside on his own at the moment and unfortunately is acting very withdrawn which isn't like him at all. If it was earlier in the year I wouldn't think twice about bringing him inside for company until he is able to get a new wifey bun, but as it's the end of August I'm worried if I do bring him inside he might not be ok to go back outside again? I'd say it's only really a matter of weeks and I know it wont be too cold by then but I'd like to know what those with more experience suggest please as to what's in his best interests. Thank you.

It really depends on how long you're thinking of bringing him in for? If you are planning on pairing him up asap then he'll probs be ok inside for a few weeks and allow you to neutralise the hutch etc, but if it is going to be 6/12 weeks you won't be able to put him back outside.

It really depends on how long you're thinking of bringing him in for? If you are planning on pairing him up asap then he'll probs be ok inside for a few weeks and allow you to neutralise the hutch etc, but if it is going to be 6/12 weeks you won't be able to put him back outside.

Yes it would only be for a few weeks while he's on his own and while he's going through the initial bonding stages so I can keep a proper eye on things. I don't put heating on until later in the year and have my windows open most of the time too so it wont be too warm in here.

Ive just been going through exactly the same with Bramble :(
Ive had him inside.. at least he has the company of us and the house noises etc.. I couldnt bear seeing him in the garage alone :(

It's so sad seeing them on their own isn't it :cry:

The problem is if he were inside he'd have less space, but more company so it's hard to decide what's best. :?

The trouble is they've all been moulting and now getting their winter coat. Taking him indoors might determine how thick his winter coat will be, I don't know for sure. I would keep him outside unless he is really pining but usually they cope with the loss of a partner quite well.

Back