• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This cage, ugh!

Malorey

Warren Scout
So, my friend and I walk our dogs together every evening / night (for the most part), and I recently discovered on one of our walks someone 3 blocks down has a Rabbit. BUT, the cage is just terrible! It is a tiny square, and the Rabbit can only jump on and off on the platform, I don't think it can even hop a full step in it! It also has no protection from the weather, I mean, it has a roof, but with the "hutch" being so small, it is quite obvious it can get hit by everything. It also has no place for it to have an indoor area, it's just an all open hutch. It doesn't appear to have any hay for a possibly nest, no toys; just itself, a water bottle, and I'm guessing food, but I didn't see a dish or anything from the alley.

This is the best example I could find that looks like it, it's a hutch, not a bird cage, and of course no bird items. But it's one square like this, with a upper platform the Rabbit has to jump up to get on, and down to get down on of course.

25217-bird-cage__39262_zoom.jpg

I feel so bad for the Rabbit, and was thinking of leaving a note saying it's way too small and the Rabbit needs stuff to do, and know it'd come off mean because this stuff always ticks me off even if they are the nicest people. The Rabbit is right next to their garage, only a few feet from the alley, next to a bunch of kid's toys, so it always makes me wonder if it even gets enough attention or looked at because it looks like a toy storage area.

I would leave a note and hope that they just dunno what they are doing wrong and change it. Poor bun x

rspca. not that i have any faith in them. but that's cruel.

sometimes people print off rabbit welfare information and put it through the letterbox, in case the owners are just ignorant, rather than ill-intentioned.

I think a friendly note would be a good idea. Hopefully they'll be glad to be educated..if not and no action is taken after that maybe the Humane Society could be called?

Perhaps a note, or even knocking on the door and chatting with them? Tell them you are a fellow bunny owner, and stroke up a conversation that way?

If nothing changes, you could contact an animal welfare organisation.

Please let us know how it goes!

:love:

ASPCA? Their website seems to have advice of where to contact.
Good luck, shelter is a basic right with food and water.

Back