• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit insurance

Hi yes it's worth getting i have all my 4 insured with Petplan and I've claimed loads a times and never had any problems :)

Yes I have it now for my 3. I didn't at the beginning of last year and paid out nearly £700 for one bunny and nearly £1,500.00 for one of my chinchillas.

After that I got 1 of the chinchillas insured and all the bunnies. The other 2 chinchillas I cannot get insurance for because of their age.

Since getting insurance last year I have made 2 claims, one for £500 and another for £1488.00

Definitely worth getting for life insurance for your pets. They could get a recurring, long term issue which can cost you thousands of pounds per year. If you get for life insurance then you will be covered. I am with PetPlan, I think they are the best. Pets at Home do a for life policy (and also an annual policy, avoid that). There are a few others.

Definitely worth it - unless you can afford a bill of, say, of £500. If you could stand a large bill, then you could put aside equivalent of insurance each month towards it.

There are loads of threads about this - and I think you'll find that most people recommend.

Am i missing something? Everyone seems to recommend petplan yet helpucover is cheaper and i cant see any difference.

helpucover dont cover flystrike if it is a second or subsequent flystrike, and they dont cover dental problems until after the bun has been insured for 2 years.

Petplan dont cover burring or rasping of the teeth, but have paid out for a dental for me and some other people on here, I think they just omitted the actual cost of the rasping, which was for me like £7 in a total bill of over £100.

Not sure on excesses either, cant find it on the helpucover website, but it is £50 for petplan, per illness per policy year.

Looks like helpucover will pay their premiums for you for 6 months if you get seriously ill though.

I dont know about helpucover, you'll have to ask them, but petplan also do not raise premiums if you claim.

Am i missing something? Everyone seems to recommend petplan yet helpucover is cheaper and i cant see any difference.

I only heard of helpucover last week, seems a good policy, some members here have a policy with them.

I have Pets at Home, Pet Plan and Exotic Pets insurance policies. Exotic Pets are the only one that covers chinchillas. I haven't had to claim with Pet Plan yet, but hear they pay back quickly. Pets at Home took nearly 6 weeks but did get all my money back. They are the cheapest plan I know of but only cover up to £1500 a year. The others including helpucover cover up to £2000 so definately seem worth insuring with.

helpucover dont cover flystrike if it is a second or subsequent flystrike, and they dont cover dental problems until after the bun has been insured for 2 years.

Petplan dont cover burring or rasping of the teeth, but have paid out for a dental for me and some other people on here, I think they just omitted the actual cost of the rasping, which was for me like £7 in a total bill of over £100.

Not sure on excesses either, cant find it on the helpucover website, but it is £50 for petplan, per illness per policy year.

Looks like helpucover will pay their premiums for you for 6 months if you get seriously ill though.

I dont know about helpucover, you'll have to ask them, but petplan also do not raise premiums if you claim.

Really. Gosh I would want to be covered for flystrike and dental.

helpucover has an excess of £50. Pets at Home £75.

Really. Gosh I would want to be covered for flystrike and dental.

helpucover has an excess of £50. Pets at Home £75.

Yup, me too!

"We cannot provide cover for treatment related to a second or subsequent instance of fly strike.

Dental treatment is normally excluded except where specifically to relieve suffering provided the rabbit has been insured under this policy for at least two years."
http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/pets/page/policy-cover-rabbits/

Yup, me too!

"We cannot provide cover for treatment related to a second or subsequent instance of fly strike.

Dental treatment is normally excluded except where specifically to relieve suffering provided the rabbit has been insured under this policy for at least two years."
http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/pets/page/policy-cover-rabbits/

Thanks, I won't be using them.

Mr B was covered for dental with Pets at Home and it was the first policy. I know Petplan cover dental as well.

I think that's an industry wide thing - with it being a living being you are insuring it would be unethical to do anything that might put people of claiming and therefore put them off seeking treatment. ... though I could be wrong and I'd be a bit :?:? at any company that did a no claims bonus type scheme.

I would always recommend it unless you're well off enough to cover lots of vet bills easily. I've been with pet plan and pets at home. I think that helpucover have only recently starting covering rabbits, pet plan only started about 18 months ago- I'm pretty sure 3 years ago the only choices I could find for rabbits where pet plan and exotic pets.

I may stick to petplan then if you guys have had a positive experience. One last question.. if im rescuing a rabbit but they dont know her exact age do i just guess the date of birth?

Petplan allowed me to guesstimate the age of one of my buns. Mine have been insured with Petplan for three years (I seem to recall only having the choice of two companies or the vet's own rabbit plan- which was cheaper but I am soooo glad I did not go with that now). There isn't much competition, which, of course, affects premiums. Mine have insured for life policies and I pay around £10 per month per bun, with a £50 excess. My bills seem to come to £48, but I have claimed a few times for one of my buns.
You could always ask the rescue to speak to an insurer- they wouldn't want to discourage people from rehoming rescue animals- think of the bad publicity if they turned you down for insurance.

Nori - yes you should make a rough estimate. Bear in mind if she has had previous illnesses you need to let petplan know so they can make it an exclusion.

Flopsie - no you cant, as they are preventative measures that should be taken anyway to prevent illness, rather than an illness or injury. In fact you are required to vaccinate by the policy, and if you dont you cant claim for those illnesses. You arent covered for dental work unless you have yearly dental checks done either.

Back