• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how does rabbit insurance work

think it depends on vets with ours i pay vets hten they fill forms and i make claim, however last year when mabel went to a referral vets for admission overnight i didn't pay the vets there and the insurance company did x

how they pay for vet bills ?? do you pay for it first and they give you it back ??

Depends on the vet.

With our old vet of 10 years (I didn't have my bunnies insured back then), they arranged to get paid back from the insurance company when I had my aunts cat and the bill went to over £2,000 or £3,000.

The vets knew me really well, so I assume there is a trust issue when it comes to the vets waiting for the insurance money.

To be fair I have never asked my vets here. Although I know the emergency vets wanted paying there and then. Took weeks to get the insurance money back from Pets at Home. I believe Pet Plan are a lot better with claims.

Last edited:
Depends on the vet.

With our old vet of 10 years (I didn't have my bunnies insured back then), they arranged to get paid back from the insurance company when I had my aunts cats and the bill went to over £2,000 or £3,000.

The vets knew me really well, so I assume there is a trust issue when it comes to the vets waiting for the insurance money.

To be fair I have never asked my vets here. Although I know the ememrgency vets wanted paying there and then. Took weeks to get the insurance money back from Pets at Home. I believe Pet Plan are a lot better with claims.

where with petplan and all claims have been dealt with in less then 2 weeks :thumb:

Depends on your vet, some are happy to wait for payment from the insurance companies (minus the excess of course), others require you to pay first then you claim it back yourself.

how they pay for vet bills ?? do you pay for it first and they give you it back ??

As others have said, it depends on the vet and also the cost of treatment. Our vet expects you to pay first if the treatment cost is under £500. If the treatment is over £500 they will ask petplan for direct payment.
Direct payment is usually only available through petplan because they're the major insurer of animals and many vets have a sort of account with them which means they are authorised to receive direct payment from petplan.

As others have said, it depends on the vet and also the cost of treatment. Our vet expects you to pay first if the treatment cost is under £500. If the treatment is over £500 they will ask petplan for direct payment.
Direct payment is usually only available through petplan because they're the major insurer of animals and many vets have a sort of account with them which means they are authorised to receive direct payment from petplan.

There's a selection of boxes on the Pets at Home claim form for who the insurer should pay including "pay vet" so it's obviously available with P@H too. I don't know about other insurers as I only use P@H and Pet Plan.

I guess if there is any possibility that the claim won't be successful the vet would rather you pay and then claim it back rather than them having to wait for their money and then having to as the client for it, messy all round.

I should really ask my vet as I wouldn't be able to pay anything but the excess but I don't see why they'd refuse to accept payment through your insurers.

I should really ask my vet as I wouldn't be able to pay anything but the excess but I don't see why they'd refuse to accept payment through your insurers.

I suppose they want you to pay in case there is any problem with the insurance company coming up with the money (exclusions etc).

I'm with PetPlan and pay my vet and then claim back. I've never asked him to come to any other arrangement so don't know whether he would agree or not. Guess different vets operate in different ways, so worth checking.

I suppose they want you to pay in case there is any problem with the insurance company coming up with the money (exclusions etc).

I'm with PetPlan and pay my vet and then claim back. I've never asked him to come to any other arrangement so don't know whether he would agree or not. Guess different vets operate in different ways, so worth checking.

Something to think about I suppose, as I wouldn't really want Stephen being kept hostage at the vets because I couldn't pay his vet bills! :lol: That's why I took out insurance in the first place, because I knew that anything more expensive than his neuter would be too much for me to manage :?

From what I have seen at my vets what they often have is that people pay with a cheque, the vets holds onto it and doesn't cash it, then once insurance has come through they don't need it. But then if there are problems they can cash the cheque. It's a pretty good system I thought.

I just pay the excess. When I have to with Petplan the vet does the claim form with me and then Petplan text me to say they have recieved my claim then I get a written letter from them saying they have payed the vet whatever the amount of the bill was :)

Back