• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Partially sighted buns

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
We got a REW handed in to us after the owner of 2 weeks decided the kids werent interested enough to keep her,
She is staying here with us, and is in with another little girl bun. (will be neutered when old enough, they are both about 20weeks, so this will be soon)

I watch her behaviour a lot as I sit and watch them when they are free ranging,
We have a few runs (3) that the younger boys (not old enough to be neutered yet) or babies go in, that get moved around daily,

Quite often she bumps into things,
She is obviously not completely blind, as she still runs about and jumps up and down obstacles but she does bump into runs occasionally when they have been moved, as she did this morning.

She also scans

Ive read that a lot of REWs can have sight problems, this is our first,
She doesnt startle easy, but we are always slow with all the buns making sure they know we are they before trying to handle them,

We noticed the behaviour first when she was moved hutch and she went into herself a lot, hiding in the corners.

Ive read about reaction tests that can be carried out by rabbit savvy vets, does anyone know what these are and how they are carried out?

Thanks

mowgli my old rabbit got cateracts as he got older, we never did anything about it as rabbit slearn to adapt, if the rabbit isn;t in pain then maybe best to leave it as she will learn to adapt to her new surroundings,try not to rearrange things soo much as to confuse her :wave:

She definatley is in no pain and gets about just as well as the others,
I dont think it helped as the run is dark and we put it in the shade so was dark in a darker area,
She still binkies and does bunny 500, shes an absolute fruit loop when shes out, after she has found where everything is,

Often follows another bun around,
She can find her hay, veg, water easy enough,

Will keep a close eye on her incase she gets any worse,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think sight is much of an issue for the majority of bunnies because it is not a primary sense. I have three mostly blind bunnies here. Two you'd never know and the other is so anxious and can react as a result, but would be that way even if she had sight, I suspect.

If she's happy I wouldn't worry too much :)

Thanks Sky-O

I will just keep a close eye on her, she most definitely a happy bun and still able to run rings around me and dart around.

I think the sight issue affects some more than others. Both my REWs seem to have sight difficulties but one more than the other. It doesnt often cause them too many problems. I tend not to rearrange the furniture in the outhouse but yeah, i think they adapt pretty well to their surroundings. Mine are also quite sensitive to light and prefer to hide when the light goes on - i dont think it's particularly pleasant for them and they wont come out into the garden on sunny days, preferring the shade of their outhouse.

To be honest, it was only her bumping into the run this morning that made me think sight issues, before I thought it was just where she was hooning about,

Its mainly darker objects, one was a dark chair followed by a black bag when we was cleaning out and this morn was a black run,
She loves a sunbathe and doesn't seem too fussed with the lights in the shed, though they are dim, and normally at feed time is the only time they go on,

Ill ask about it when she goes in for spaying anyway and try not to put anything in places she loves a run

Thanks again

Back