• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange behaviour and a couple of sneezes.

Top_Cat

Warren Scout
Hello, looking for opinions as we're probably worrying about nothing. Buck has been sitting/possibly sleeping with his eyes open with his head hanging over the edge of the shelf in his crate. This started yesterday and looks weird, sometimes his eyes bulge when he does it. He has also sneezed a few times this morning but he has no discharge from his nose and all in all he looks fine. Do you think he's just experiementing with sleeping positions or do you think there's something wrong with him?

After losing a bun to pasteurella I wouldn't take any chances with sneezing and would consult the vet. I also had a snuffly rat once (he had nasal polyps rather than an upper resp infection) that would hang his head over his shelf and I think he did it because he could breathe better that way.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on him, I did listen to see of he was breathing differently and I couldn't hear anything, we're going to the vet on Tues anyway as Pops has a persistant urinary problem but if he seems to deteriorate I'll call the emergency.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Were back, he's had an antibiotic injection and a thermometer up his bum so he's most displeased. The vet said we've caught it early so he should be fine, We'll keep an eye on him,

Thanks again :)

aww poor thing-charlie had a themometer up his bum too:lol: he was a bit shocked but i would be too!

Boris didn't react at all to having a thermometer up his bum! I was expecting him to at least growl or something but no. He didn't move. He puts up more of a fight when he gets his nails trimmed :shock:

Good luck to you and your boy, I wish you all the best! Boris has chronic snuffles and this is because he didn't get the treatment he needed early on, so hopefully you'll have caught it in time xxx

Buck's nail trimming is a week long afair!

He's still sulking in his corner behind the chair, but he's had a couple of pellets and some marjoram. hopefully he'll cheer up at dinner time.

Yeah, thanks for your advice. He's not 100% but he's moving around, eating and drinking. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in over the next couple of days.

Back