• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I might have to give up my bunnies

Quintilia

New Kit
Hi forum buddies,
I'm at the end of my tether writing this so reaching out before I give up my bunnies. I feel so awful but we are just not getting on. I got them from a rescue centre who said they needed to be held a lot to make them friendly but they seemed so scared I didn't want to freak them out by picking them up.

I got them each a big cage- those dog transporters, make sure they are out to run around at least 6 hours a day, got them toys brought them fresh herbs and veggies, left them with the radio when I'm out so they're not lonely- and still three months on they're so hostile. They come out to eat, won't be touched even stroked at all. If I try they give me the foot flick and run under the sofa.

I've tried so hard to make them comfortable and happy but Im not really enjoying looking after two pets that seem to hate me. I read all your posts and you have such great relationships with your rabbits I feel so confused why mine is so bleak! I envy you!

So I think I'm going to have to rehome them. But before I do, is there anyone out there who has been through the same and turned a corner. I love them so much but it's breaking my heart they seem to hate me!

Thanks! Help! X

I think if you are to continue with the bunnies you have to change the way you view your relationship with them. In my limited experience with rabbits, they aren't like dogs - they don't like being handled, or necessarily even stroked (although sometimes you can get away with a nose rub). However, they do love food, and therefore it is possible to have a really nice relationship with them, without cuddles. I bet they don't really hate you. Oh, and they (usually) love each other, which is great to watch.

It doesn't sound like they hate you, just that they are scared of humans. We have had Poppy nearly 18 months now and she still wont let me pick her up for a cuddle. She does come for pellets and parsley (some other veggies but if they're not her favourite she gives me the look that says 'leave them in the bowl stoopid hooman':oops:). Maybe just set the challenge of interacting with them for now, sit on the floor (or lay) with nice treats and let them come to you for them. If they see you as the nice food source who wont grab them thats half the battle won :thumb:

I think they have each other & dont need you for affection as such.

My bunny poppy used to lay with me on the sofa, run to me for cuddles etc, but since I got Peter two years ago she does none of that (in fact she won't come near me as she thinks im going to catch her for meds). Although it makes me sad in a way I still know she 'needs' me for food and day to day care, to me its more important she has a friends whose behaviour she can understand (as your two do).

Try & love them in a different way, once you stop expecting cuddles with them you probably wont be disappointed in their behaviour. They will probably griw to be more confident with you too.

Scarlet is a very aloof bun, the minute you try and touch her she runs off. She makes it very clear we are providers of food, housing and vetrinary care and generally acts as if we should be grateful she allows us to look after her. I think buns are alot like cats in that some are friendly, others aren't and everything has to be on their terms. We don't expect interaction from Scarlet, and we find her whole attitude amusing and we absolutely love watching her and Ori (who will be fussed) who are in a hutch and run combo outside our french doors.
If I'm honest, I could never keep just rabbits as I like pets that will cuddle and are interested in me as much as I am in them, we have a cat and 2 rats so I get my furry loving from them, but I think rabbits are more interesting than the cat or the rats.
Have you read this website
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
it helps understand their behaviour with a humurous twist and it might help.

Completely agree with others that have said they sound nervous they are still just getting to know you.

That said rabbits aren't cuddley animals of my six one cries when picked up and one bits, the other four tolerate it.

Last edited:
:? A rescue that advises you to pick up bunnies in order to help them get over their fears obviously have no clue about rabbits. Rabbits generally HATE being picked up, they are prey animals and so being picked up will immediately freak them out.
In order to bond with your bunnies you need to sit in the room with them and let them come to you. Don't go to stroke them but let them sniff your hand, offer them treats. It helps if you understand bunny behaviour. I always recommend this website as it helped me to understand Fiver so much. http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

My bun, Fiver is very temperamental. He is the most loving, sweet bun...when he WANTS to be. Often he growls, scratches, scrabbles and nips me. It takes time to gain the trust of a bunny. I have another bun, Xena. I got her in March and she has only just started coming to me for nose rubs, she still runs off as I walk in the room (unless its food time!) and I have to sit and wait for her to come to me.

Just out of curiosity..are they neutered? What sex are they? What breed are they? Different breeds of bunnies are meant to be more human friendly but tbh I think it's the actual individual bunnies.

Scarlet is a very aloof bun, the minute you try and touch her she runs off. She makes it very clear we are providers of food, housing and vetrinary care and generally acts as if we should be grateful she allows us to look after her. I think buns are alot like cats in that some are friendly, others aren't and everything has to be on their terms. We don't expect interaction from Scarlet, and we find her whole attitude amusing and we absolutely love watching her and Ori (who will be fussed) who are in a hutch and run combo outside our french doors.
If I'm honest, I could never keep just rabbits as I like pets that will cuddle and are interested in me as much as I am in them, we have a cat and 2 rats so I get my furry loving from them, but I think rabbits are more interesting than the cat or the rats.
Have you read this website
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
it helps understand their behaviour with a humurous twist and it might help.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great minds think alike eh!? Took me so long to write my bit that you beat me to it! :wave:

:wave: Sounds like my lot!!! Some bunnies are just not 'people' bunnies. I have 2 bonded pairs and they prefer each others company to mine! It's only my single boy who loves human attention.

Although they are not 'cuddly' bunnies we still have a good relationship albeit without physical interaction.

Some tips for improving the relationship:
- Get on their level! Spend lots of time on the floor
- Let them come to you, buns are inquisitive
- Don't make any sudden movements or attempt to touch them
- Treats are also a big help!
- Google Language of Lagamorphs - fantastic for understanding body language

When I got my first bun I spent about 6 months on the floor - it really does help.

Bunnies are subtle in their affections but so rewarding when you understand them! :D

rabbits are severely disadvantaged because people believe the stuff they are told about them in childhood - small, furry, cuddly, sweet....

no.

rabbits are feisty survivors, able to kick, bite andbox. they have sharp teeth and claws. they're territorial. they defend their space and they don't want anyone else in it. but they know they are prey animals, and that the next creature looming over them, or grabbing them, is going to have them for dinner. (mine are particularly sensitive about the kitchen - they don't even like to go past the door).

as already has been said, you need to change your attitude - its not a criticism, its just about being realistic. there might be some cuddlebunnies (one of my four mini lops is always happy to be picked up and loved, one won't be caught but if he is he demands a lot of loving before going back to his routine, one is affronted if touched and one can't be held at all, though she submits to bum-checks for her own good) but most just aren't.

they like you. you bring them food. that's what they want.

:wave: Sounds like my lot!!! Some bunnies are just not 'people' bunnies. I have 2 bonded pairs and they prefer each others company to mine! It's only my single boy who loves human attention.

Although they are not 'cuddly' bunnies we still have a good relationship albeit without physical interaction.

When I got my first bun I spent about 6 months on the floor - it really does help.

Bunnies are subtle in their affections but so rewarding when you understand them! :D

:thumb::thumb: Buns generally hate being picked up - I have 36 buns and ONE loves being picked up, a couple of others tolerate it, the rest range from struggling slightly to get down to frantic to get down.

Definitely this! I still spend a lot of time on the floor with my little boy! :D

I find the best way to bond is to ignore them as strange as it sounds. Their natural curiosity will bring them to you to explore, even my most shy one will eventually come over if I sit on the floor for long enough, but if they think you're going to pick them up they won't come up to you. And they are often bribable with food as has been mentioned ;)

Thank you for your replies, you're always such a helpful community. They certainly do love each other that's true and so very sweet. I'm glad they have each other but it's sad to think I might have ha a better relationship with them if I'd only had one!

Thank you for your replies, you're always such a helpful community. They certainly do love each other that's true and so very sweet. I'm glad they have each other but it's sad to think I might have ha a better relationship with them if I'd only had one!

That's not always so though. When I had bunnies, I was left with one for a few months after her sister died, and I honestly wouldn't have said she bonded with me any more when she was on her own. Plus it was so sad not to have grooming bunnies anymore.

I think it's possible to have a good relationship with them. You have to know how to communicate with them, you have to show them that a human can give just as much love as a bunny can :)

TBH in my experience bunnies are either human bunnies or not whether in pairs or single. My Mischa was on his own for a year and then paired with Mini and didn't withdraw from humans. My Smudge has always been scared of humans, he was on his own for a while until old enough for neuter and then paired up and nothing changed. He's a bit better now with people he knows but he's still a bunny's bunny. I think it's their personality and history more than anything but understanding bunny speak and letting them come to you will help.

Back