• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about rabbits teeth?

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
We went to our local rescue this afternoon and adopted 4 chooks from them, whilst we were there the founder had a call about 2 rabbits that had been dumped at his builders yard in a hutch, we followed him down to the gate to collect off the guy who was dropping them off,
He parked in the way so we had to wait before we could go, the founder knows how much we love buns so called us over, mum thought it was because they were really cute.

Oh my good lord, 1 had teeth about 2/3 inches long hanging out of its , mum asked if the other was ok, so we opened the hutch, first glimpse it looked ok, but then as it moved round there was a gaping hole in its neck, obviously a burst abcess, we helped him get them on the trailer for the short trip to the rescue,
I texted a short while later to see how they were.

Unfortunatly both buns had maggots in their mouths and neck and were quickly euthanised to stop further suffering, I am so angry at whoever has done this!! Utterly devestating!!

How long would it have taken for the teeth to have grown to that length?

Whilst people get annoyed at people that give rabbits up so soon, I'd much ratHer they noted they couldn't do it than make buns suffer like these 2 did,

RIP buns, you suffer no more :'(

Rabbit teeth grow about 11-12cm a year I think, so if they were three inches over grown probably about 6 months give or take :(

Back