• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone NOT have lino in their hutches?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
And if so what do you use? Currently having a battle over the buns chewing the lino and I can't afford to keep replacing it :wave:

I used one of those thick plastic runners that you can get for hallways and aqaurium sealed it to the base of the hutch so the rabbits didn't get to the edges. It worked a treat! They are in a shed now and fully litter trained so I don't have anything lining the floor now, just woodshavings.

me!
I use wood shavings. dust extracted ones that i also use for poultry. keeps their feet nice and dry when they been bombing round wet run. I buy a bale thats approx 4 foot high and 2 foot wide for £12 . its sold by my feed merchent as horse bedding for horses that can't be in dusty envirament. Its worth shopping about for different types of shavings- some are unusable as far too dusty and would cause breathing problems if used.
when i had the boys castrated and they were on newspaper i was horrified how wet their fur stayed after they had been out. the shavings keep fur drier.

Yes, I should have said....I had a thick layer of shavings over the runner too. I know some people think shavings are a problem but I have used them for 30 years with my animals and never had an issue. The ones I use in the shed are for horse bedding and are more like small chips than actual shavings. I have only needed to change them about once very 3 months as the buns are soooooo fab at using their litter trays (which get cleaned out daily)

I dont, my rabbits are litter trained so wee in their tray. They then have a blankets, bath mats and vet bed which I rotate, for the rest of the floor. I would like lino but one of my buns refuses to go on any slippy surface, even non-slip lino.

I wouldnt use shavings, even dust extracted ones, because of the phenols that they give off that can cause respiritory issues and problems with other organs too.

Shavings don't actually soak up much either and get flipping everywhere. The duchess uses safety flooring in hers I think. Do you cut it so it fits snuggly and then seal the edges? I have lino in my bunnies' rooms and they've never pulled it up.

I dont, my rabbits are litter trained so wee in their tray. They then have a blankets, bath mats and vet bed which I rotate, for the rest of the floor. I would like lino but one of my buns refuses to go on any slippy surface, even non-slip lino.

I wouldnt use shavings, even dust extracted ones, because of the phenols that they give off that can cause respiritory issues and problems with other organs too.

That applies to pine shavings but not to aspen. Aspen shavings can be hard to get but they not have the phenol content of pine.

When I used hutches I used newspaper.

That applies to pine shavings but not to aspen. Aspen shavings can be hard to get but they not have the phenol content of pine.

Yeah aspen shavings are safe, and I believe over there you have aubiose which is made of hemp and is safe as well.

But pine, cedar and sawdust are big no nos.

I've got lino but I just got it from wilkinsons, only a couple of pounds, so not expensive. I don't think Doughnut can get the edges up as mine isn't chewed at all. I put newspaper over one side with the litter tray on it and the other side has her fleece blanket.

They do packs of lino tiles in poundland and also 99p store, maybe a cheaper option :wave:

Lola has blankets, because she's litter trained, and goes in her tray, so i don't worry about her weeing on it. (though it is washed often! :lol: )
I use a fleece blanket which covers the floor. They are relatively cheap, so I have a few, and switch them out often.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot imagine why lino etc is necessary.

I have had rabbits for years - some were/are better litter trained than others, but a good thick layer of newspaper was more than adequate along with a litter tray.

I dont use lino. When we go to the supermarket,we get cardboard boxes and then just tear them to size and take the sticky tape or anything else off. used to use newspaper but it gets torn and i like having something i can just chuck in the recycling bin when it's dirty.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot imagine why lino etc is necessary.

I used to think that until I was given a piece and tried it! It just makes it sooooo much easier to clean - I still use litter trays and paper but it stops the floor from getting damp and it stops bits of hay etc from getting stuck to the wood - it all sweeps up so much more easily. I have always put it in before putting the hutch together, that way it goes underneath the sides at the edges (which I then put a bead of sealant round when the hutch is constructed) so there is nowhere for the bunnies to pull it up. It also means you can blot it dry quickly after disinfecting - particularly handy in winter when wood takes ages to dry!

Eta: here is my new 6x3x3happyhutch being prepared for use - the Lino (an off cut from eBay) was glued to the base before I assembled the hutch.

d1ec143db3dfda003d10e97e592cc381.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have anything on the floor... mine pee in their trays every time so it's just poos and hay bits that need sweeping. The hutch was built by a friend and has sort of floorboards rather than a solid wood floor. I've never had any problems and the buns seem happy on it :thumb:

Back