• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i disclose mild Gut stasis to my pet insurer

d2007ave

Young Bun
Hi i recently bought pet insurance for my pet bun.

While going through the application it asked if that i should disclose any known conditions, on selecting yes, it dropped down awhole series of new boxes to enter the vets contacvt details.

I then re selected no, and that saved all the underwriting options.

My question is should i disclose it? I know that gut stasis is very common in rabbits. The gut stasis that my bun had did make him ill but the bulk of what the vet did was give him water and an electrolyte ref the dehydration.

let me know what you think i should have done -- if you consensus is yes, ill cancel the policy and not bother with one, rather save a vet fund for the bun as i know the premiums on a underwritten bun wiill be more (my quote was £13 with no conditions)

ps watch who you insure with, so many exclusions ie one of your other pets biting your pet could invalidate a claim (helpucover)

Thank you;)

I think that you should declare it it because it is fraudulent and illegal not to do so. They could also very easily check with your vet and if caught you would potentially then find it very difficult to get insurance of any kind because you have deliberately lied on an insurance application. Declaring it may not put the premium up it may just mean they would not cover you for stasis.

I think that you should declare it it because it is fraudulent and illegal not to do so. They could also very easily check with your vet and if caught you would potentially then find it very difficult to get insurance of any kind because you have deliberately lied on an insurance application. Declaring it may not put the premium up it may just mean they would not cover you for stasis.

I phoned them up and added the GI stasis. It will be an exclusion from the policy. I think though insurance companies are a fraud also, some of the policies out there are just so poor!!!

on another note, ive paid car insurance for 15 years no claims, have paid thousands and still have higher and higher premiums, if my preiums dont go down soon im off to crash my car into their hq

The worst thing about car insurance is that it's so dependant on postcode. My cousin lives in Bradford and there are some postcodes there that some insurance companies actually won't insure you for. It's a nightmare.

I phoned them up and added the GI stasis. It will be an exclusion from the policy. I think though insurance companies are a fraud also, some of the policies out there are just so poor!!!

on another note, ive paid car insurance for 15 years no claims, have paid thousands and still have higher and higher premiums, if my preiums dont go down soon im off to crash my car into their hq

I took insurance out for one of my bunnies. She had had a blockage which I decalred and it was only an exclusion for a year.

I ended up not paying for it a couple of years down the line as the premiums and excesses went up too much so just ended up paying for whatever she needs. Luckily I am in a position to do that, I know everyone is not. Her bout of statis cost me £500 a few weeks ago (including x-rays as it was a bad case of it) but then when I think if I had paid it about £300 in premiums and excess of about £60 it is not that much difference.

Yes, you should disclose it, it will become apparent when you send in your rabbits medical history anyway. If you are with Petplan it wont increase your premiums, but it will be an exclusion from the policy, so they wont pay out for future related issues.

I took insurance out for one of my bunnies. She had had a blockage which I decalred and it was only an exclusion for a year.

I ended up not paying for it a couple of years down the line as the premiums and excesses went up too much so just ended up paying for whatever she needs. Luckily I am in a position to do that, I know everyone is not. Her bout of statis cost me £500 a few weeks ago (including x-rays as it was a bad case of it) but then when I think if I had paid it about £300 in premiums and excess of about £60 it is not that much difference.

Sorry to hear your bunny suffers with stasis also, poor thing, im definately going to read up more on the condition.

Yes, you should disclose it, it will become apparent when you send in your rabbits medical history anyway. If you are with Petplan it wont increase your premiums, but it will be an exclusion from the policy, so they wont pay out for future related issues.

Thanks Nessar, yes ive told them now, i only wish we'd done the insurance thing right from the start. When we get our second bun, she'll be insured from the first day.

Sorry to hear your bunny suffers with stasis also, poor thing, im definately going to read up more on the condition.

She is 7 and has only had 2 illnesses (thankfully), 1 was a blockage when she was 3 or 4 and the recent statis this year but I do believe it was partly to do with her losing her partner of 6 years as her eating habits changed. Her x-rays did reveal arthritis in her back and she is now on a low dose of metacam for this now in case that is what caused the statis.

Back