• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Question

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Chris has been neutered this morning and was at the vets until three O' clock(to recover). He has been at home three hours already and he has not urinated or defecated yet. I am trying to get him to take more fluids to prevent stomach impaction. He has eaten a little. Is it normal for him not to have peed and pooped yet?:?

Don't fret too much until morning....if there are still no signs then, I'd pop him back to the vet. Make sure he has plenty of water available and hay to munch on to try and get things moving. Were you given probiotics by the vet? They are always a good idea following surgery as the gut flora levels can drop.

I would be worried I've never been allow to take a bun home until after they were already eating and pooping. Is he eating? Does he seem his normal self? In general boy buns are still fairly active even within a few hours of coming round from the anastetic and acting like nothing ever happened within about 48hrs.

Did they administer a 24 pain killer and metoclopramide injections?
If I were you I would be back at the emergency vet to be honest.

I hope everything goes ok xx

I would be worried I've never been allow to take a bun home until after they were already eating and pooping. Is he eating? Does he seem his normal self? In general boy buns are still fairly active even within a few hours of coming round from the anastetic and acting like nothing ever happened within about 48hrs.

Did they administer a 24 pain killer and metoclopramide injections?
If I were you I would be back at the emergency vet to be honest.

I hope everything goes ok xx

Yes he started eating at the vets and he has pain meds. He came out of the carrier and started exploring and nibbleing on hay and pellets and a carrot. He IS pretty active.:D

Don't fret too much until morning....if there are still no signs then, I'd pop him back to the vet. Make sure he has plenty of water available and hay to munch on to try and get things moving. Were you given probiotics by the vet? They are always a good idea following surgery as the gut flora levels can drop.

I have some probiotics at home but they arent from the vet.;)

Sometimes Scarlet hasn't pooped for about 12 hours after a dental. If he hasn't pooped by this morning I would ring your vet as you can probably get a Saturday morning appointment but they may be emergency call out only after that until Monday.

Back