• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Truffle scanning? UD video P58

esupi

Warren Veteran
She's laid down repeatedly moving her head and then her eyes to the left and back. She doesn't otherwise seem distressed, but it is absolutely not normal. Is this scanning, and if so what/why would cause it? She was normal 45 minutes ago. Also noticed she's just done a wee on the lounge floor and leaning over to the left.

Ringing emergency vets now, and off to get dressed, but prefer to have an idea what I'm talking about when I get there.

thanks! :(

Last edited:
Check her ears when you get to the vet.
Is she a lop? When we got parsley the rescue thought he had the beginnings of head tilt.
He did the exact sane thing.
they treated him for e.c but when we took him to my vet they seen he had quite a bad ear infection. In both ears.
Since we've been treating his eats the sway scanning thing has basically disappeared.
good luck xxx

As natsusakura, it could be an inner ear infection but make sure she is treated for E.C as well just in case. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Keep us updated. xx

Let us know how everything goes. Vet should give a course of panacur, metacam and possibly anti-biotics (in case of inner ear infection). I'm not entirely sure if they can all be given at the same time (I know panacur and metacam is the standard treatment for EC) but make sure to ask the vet. Not all out of hours vets know bunnies!

Just back. By the time we got there, her head was totally turned to the left, and she couldn't stand or sit up without falling onto her side.

The vet checked her ears but couldn't see anything. She said it could be either a small bleed, or E.C. but that they can't diagnose without a head scan, which they can't do there, so they would normally just treat symptomatically. They have kept her in in case she can't eat, in which case they will syringe feed her, and if necessary give her fluids subcutaneously.

They are starting her on panacur. Potentially, depending how she goes, they will also give her dexadreson and a pro-kinetic(?) for the eating I think (metaclopramide + Zantac).

I feel so awful having left her there in a strange place with strange people and all alone (they said it's better to not leave Fudge with her, as she could injure her?).

They will call in the morning to let me know how she is, unless she goes downhill, in which case they will call in the night :cry:

I am a wreck - I'm so frightened I'll lose her. I came over faint and was crying in the vets - felt like such an idiot. Feel bad for Fudge too - she's just sitting looking a bit lost in a spot she never normally sits in :(

Poor bun :( And poor you, it's heartbreaking leaving them at the vets isn't it :(

Are they treating with antibiotics also? My bun Mimi had these symptoms due to an inner ear infection. She was treated with antibiotics and Metacam and made a full (if slow) recovery.

Some vets will just assume that head tilt is due to EC and treat only with Panacur, but a lot think that most cases of head tilt are due to ear infections. It's best to treat for both to be on the safe side.

Sending loads of vibes for your fight with head tilt, it can sometimes be a long one and may feel hopeless at times, but I assure you it's worth it in the end xxx

Poor bun :( And poor you, it's heartbreaking leaving them at the vets isn't it :(

Are they treating with antibiotics also? My bun Mimi had these symptoms due to an inner ear infection. She was treated with antibiotics and Metacam and made a full (if slow) recovery.

Some vets will just assume that head tilt is due to EC and treat only with Panacur, but a lot think that most cases of head tilt are due to ear infections. It's best to treat for both to be on the safe side.

Sending loads of vibes for your fight with head tilt, it can sometimes be a long one and may feel hopeless at times, but I assure you it's worth it in the end xxx

I got the impression that she ruled out an ear infection because she couldn't see anything? I will ask about antibiotics when I speak to them this morning.

I can't believe what a state I'm in! When I got to the vets last night, I forgot to put the handbrake on and the car started rolling, and when I was in with the vet I had to sit down and have water because I came over faint/sick. Even now my heart is going like the clappers. I'm normally pretty level-headed but I hate feeling so helpless.
Also, the vet told me that she didn't want to get my hopes up 'too much', but that she'd seen much worse bunnies come in and recover in the end! (It hadn't even occurred to me until then that she might NOT be ok :( )

If it is e.c. or an infection, should I be worrying about Fudge at all or doing anything for her in the meantime?

Thanks.

You poor thing. This is almost exactly what happened with Fifi in July :-( please know that even though things feel bleak now, bunnies with EC/severe ear infection can and do make a full recovery, with the right treatment and a good deal of love and care.

Fifi's EC was diagnosed with a blood test, but I'm told it's not always 100% accurate and our results took 5-7 days to come through, hence treating with fenbendazole (panacur/lapizole) regardless. We were also advised to treat her partner with a course as well.

I don't think an ear infection should necessarily be ruled out because nothing could be seen, but I'll let someone else offer an opinion on that! Fifi's ears were do inflamed they couldn't see far enough down them to tell. They did a culture and senditivity tedt to see what type of bacteria grew (if any - she had already started abx) and found it was sensitive to baytril. What Gemmapookie said seems the best option - treatment for EC AND ear infection to be on the safe side.
It can be a very difficult and upsetting time and my heart goes out to you. If you ever want to chat about it I am only a PM away xxxxx

Oh no, how worrying :cry: My Storm has suspected EC a couple of years ago. She was treated with Panacur, Metacam and Baytril. It took a couple of months, but she made a full recovery :) I think if it's an inner ear infection they wouldn't be able to see anything, so I'd want antibiotics too. I'd Panacur all bunnies for 28 days. Storm also stopped eating a couple of times, and needed gut motility meds and syringe feeding.

I hope you get some good news soon. Sending lots of vibes for Truffle xx

Thank you so much for the replies. The vet said they'd call between 10 and 11, so hopefully will have an update soon.....

I hope you get some positive news soon.

There's no wonder you felt as you described it must have been very shocking and frightening. It really is horrible feeling powerless to help them.

Yes very frightening - I've never had to deal with anything like this before.

Well they didn't get back to me, so I just called them. Apparently the vet is still 'doing the rounds' and will call me in an hour or two. But the nurse said she seemed a little more coordinated overnight, and has been able to eat/drink for herself. So I guess that's good news. Will wait to talk to the vet to discuss the antibiotics. I really hope I can have her at home - I really feel horrible that she's stuck in a strange place all alone :(

Yes very frightening - I've never had to deal with anything like this before.

Well they didn't get back to me, so I just called them. Apparently the vet is still 'doing the rounds' and will call me in an hour or two. But the nurse said she seemed a little more coordinated overnight, and has been able to eat/drink for herself. So I guess that's good news. Will wait to talk to the vet to discuss the antibiotics. I really hope I can have her at home - I really feel horrible that she's stuck in a strange place all alone :(

Being able to eat and drink is a very very good thing! Honestly, I know it seems like the most simple thing, but trust me if she can support herself with fluids and food that's a very good sign - our vet told us that the ones who want to eat stand the best chance of a good recovery.

It must be very difficult being out of the loop and not knowing what she's up to, but I am sure the vets & nurses will be giving her regular attention. Try and prepare yourself for when she returns and maybe go and give Fudge a squidge in the mean time xxx

Being able to eat and drink is a very very good thing! Honestly, I know it seems like the most simple thing, but trust me if she can support herself with fluids and food that's a very good sign - our vet told us that the ones who want to eat stand the best chance of a good recovery.

It must be very difficult being out of the loop and not knowing what she's up to, but I am sure the vets & nurses will be giving her regular attention. Try and prepare yourself for when she returns and maybe go and give Fudge a squidge in the mean time xxx

Fudge is being her usual grumpy self! i.e. no chance of letting herself be squidged! I'm glad she doesn't seem particularly perturbed by Truffle's absence at least.
Still waiting for the call back from the vet!

Fudge is being her usual grumpy self! i.e. no chance of letting herself be squidged! I'm glad she doesn't seem particularly perturbed by Truffle's absence at least.
Still waiting for the call back from the vet!

Blimey, long ward round! Don't let them forget you sweet xx

Back