• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Failed Bonding, An Alternative Option?

Janey

Warren Veteran
Bonding of my pair and single bun failed today. I could return the single girl back to my friends, but she would be stuck in the avery by herself again, she has spent most of the morning trying to get on my knee on the sofa, she really deserves a nice home.

My question is could she live in the same room as my pair but separately? It's not ideal but it's that or I don't know what else, boring life for her I guess. :cry:

What do you mean by 'failed'? Is it definitely not going to work, even if you left it for a few weeks then tried again?

Perhaps a rescue could bond for you? Is that an option? Lots of rescues will do so for you, then you'd need to neutralise the room and off you go :) Obviously this isnt' guranteed but rescues have been doing this for years normally, so may have a better chance?

I personally unless properly 100% seperated would not house them in the same room purely for the fact that the additional scent may drive a wedge and cause fights between your existing pair.

When I say 'failed' I mean I tried for about a minute and couldn't hack it. :(

My current pair are very happy, I only took 3rd bunny very reluctantly because she was begging for attention from her avery at my friends and she had their 3 Springer Spaniels constantly barking at her. I had already said no to wanting her a year before. My Mum said if they didn't bond she could live in her garden but I don't think that would suit her, she'd still be alone much of the time and I doubt my Dad would let me erect accommodation I felt suitable (I could actually probably persuade him but doesn't help with the 'lone' factor).

Anyhow, everything was completely nutralised, I've been waiting 4 weeks so Pixie (new bun) was fully panacured etc. and 5 straight days off work. Put them in dog crate this morning, Pixie mounted current dominant bun Poppy who allowed it but I had to get Pixie off because she appeared to be nipping Pop's head. All got confused and I think Peter tried to hump Poppy (he is completely submissive normally), which ended in chasing between Poppy and Peter at which point I finished it. :cry:

I sound like a right woose but my two are so happy I really don't want them falling out and they are my priority. Poppy is 6 now and has dental problems so I don't want to stress her too much. They are back in their room happy as larry together.

I'm not sure who could bond for me, Peter is the only bunny rescued (Pop was shop bought before I knew better), and that was from Starlights and I know Kris doesn't do it anymore. I knew from bonding my two that it would be stressful but this is ridiculous.

That's what I thought about them being in the same room....issues with my two, can't risk that. Although they would be 100% seperate, I was thinking NIC cubes for new bun or something.

When I say 'failed' I mean I tried for about a minute and couldn't hack it. :(

My current pair are very happy, I only took 3rd bunny very reluctantly because she was begging for attention from her avery at my friends and she had their 3 Springer Spaniels constantly barking at her. I had already said no to wanting her a year before. My Mum said if they didn't bond she could live in her garden but I don't think that would suit her, she'd still be alone much of the time and I doubt my Dad would let me erect accommodation I felt suitable (I could actually probably persuade him but doesn't help with the 'lone' factor).

Anyhow, everything was completely nutralised, I've been waiting 4 weeks so Pixie (new bun) was fully panacured etc. and 5 straight days off work. Put them in dog crate this morning, Pixie mounted current dominant bun Poppy who allowed it but I had to get Pixie off because she appeared to be nipping Pop's head. All got confused and I think Peter tried to hump Poppy (he is completely submissive normally), which ended in chasing between Poppy and Peter at which point I finished it. :cry:

I sound like a right woose but my two are so happy I really don't want them falling out and they are my priority. Poppy is 6 now and has dental problems so I don't want to stress her too much. They are back in their room happy as larry together.

I'm not sure who could bond for me, Peter is the only bunny rescued (Pop was shop bought before I knew better), and that was from Starlights and I know Kris doesn't do it anymore. I knew from bonding my two that it would be stressful but this is ridiculous.

That's what I thought about them being in the same room....issues with my two, can't risk that. Although they would be 100% seperate, I was thinking NIC cubes for new bun or something.

That wouldn't be 100% seperate, that was my point im afraid. If they can see/hear/smell each other that *could* be enough to trigger fighting in your existing pair. Im not saying it WOULD happen im saying it COULD. As you said, you dont want to run the risk. I think it sounds like a bit heart over head unfortunately :( Could you possibly look to rehome new bun if this just isn't going to work? Do you have anywhere else new bun could go?

Is there anyone on here who might be able to help you bond? From what you said, it doesn't sound particularly bad, mounting, chasing and nipping is perfectly normal behaviour, but i understand if you couldn't cope with it.

Just trying tot hink of some options fo ryou.

Bonding is a complex process which occurs over a period of time. I have found this thread which I assume is about the bonding of this threesome http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...rrow.....UD-BIG-Failure&p=5517360#post5517360 . If they only have 1 minute together it is far too soon to actually abandon for ever and say that there is no chance of this ever working. To try and help you work out what has gone wrong and put you on the right track can you answer the following questions.

Have all buns been in good health for at least 3 weeks prior to you attempting to bond them?

Where did the rabbits live or have access to prior to you trying to bond them? Was any of this area they have accessed before being used for bonding? If so what preparation did you do to neutralise the space?

Have you expereince of bonding before? Were you showing signs of concern which the rabbits may have picked up?

What size was the area you used for bonding?

What was in the bonding area? Had any of this been used before for any of the rabbits? If so how had you prepared this for the bonding?

What exactly happened when you put them in together?

When you say the bonding failed what behaviour was shown that was unacceptable? How did you respond to this behaviour?

How did you stop this behaviour?

How long did you continue for?

If you can answer these questions we may be able to guide you to bond these rabbits together if this is an option.

Bonding is a complex process which occurs over a period of time. I have found this thread which I assume is about the bonding of this threesome http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...rrow.....UD-BIG-Failure&p=5517360#post5517360 . If they only have 1 minute together it is far too soon to actually abandon for ever and say that there is no chance of this ever working. To try and help you work out what has gone wrong and put you on the right track can you answer the following questions.

Have all buns been in good health for at least 3 weeks prior to you attempting to bond them? As good as they ever are, Poppy has dental problems but I spoke to my rabbit savvy vet and he said he thought she should be fine in regards to her health.

Where did the rabbits live or have access to prior to you trying to bond them? Was any of this area they have accessed before being used for bonding? If so what preparation did you do to neutralise the space? My two do go in the lounge but it was fully neutralised as best I could as was the dog crate. Mt two weren't bonded in the dog crate , they did have access to it up until about 6 moths ago but it hasn't been in their room for a while and was fully cleaned.

Have you expereince of bonding before? Were you showing signs of concern which the rabbits may have picked up? Yes, I bonded my first two. I was concerned but all I did was stand still and watch them, I didn't show stress or anything (I don't think).

What size was the area you used for bonding? An extra large dog crate

What was in the bonding area? Had any of this been used before for any of the rabbits? If so how had you prepared this for the bonding? I washed the whole floor and wipeable furniture with a hot water/vinegar solution including crate. The only things I had in the crate were newspaper to line, a bit of shredded paper at one end (minus the tray they are all used to using) and scattered hay.

What exactly happened when you put them in together? They all had a sniff of each other, Pixie (new bun) mounted Poppy (dominant currently over Peter) and Poppy seemed to lie there, I pushed Pixie off because she seemed to be nipping Pop's head v.near her eye. The rest is a bit of a blurr. I *think* Pixie then mounted Peter which he didn't like but rather than mount Pixie he mounted Poppy who I knew wouldn't have any of that. As a result Poppy and Peter started chasing each other and that's when I seperated. I just coldn't bear for my two to fall out

When you say the bonding failed what behaviour was shown that was unacceptable? How did you respond to this behaviour? I think I answered above, although I do realise I probably should have left longer. :oops:

How did you stop this behaviour? Pushed Pixie off from nipping then removed my two.

How long did you continue for? Not long enough....a minute :oops:

If you can answer these questions we may be able to guide you to bond these rabbits together if this is an option.

Thanks for trying to help, I'm thinking perhaps I don't have the nerves to do it :cry: And yes, that's my rather embarassing thread of admitting I only tried for about a minute.

Last edited:
That wouldn't be 100% seperate, that was my point im afraid. If they can see/hear/smell each other that *could* be enough to trigger fighting in your existing pair. Im not saying it WOULD happen im saying it COULD. As you said, you dont want to run the risk. I think it sounds like a bit heart over head unfortunately :( Could you possibly look to rehome new bun if this just isn't going to work? Do you have anywhere else new bun could go?

Is there anyone on here who might be able to help you bond? From what you said, it doesn't sound particularly bad, mounting, chasing and nipping is perfectly normal behaviour, but i understand if you couldn't cope with it.

Just trying tot hink of some options fo ryou.

Yes, very heart over head which is VERY not like me at all, I'm normally overly sensible to the point I need to let go a bit, typical the one time I relax it all goes a bit **** up :roll:

I think the behaviour is quite normal and I just don't have the nerves for it (despite managing bonding my two). I would love it to work for Pixie.

My sister is moving back home from uni in October, she will have my old room at my Parent's and she is considering having her but wants to check on a rat forum first that rats would be ok with her in the room. My sister is a huge animal lover (tried everything to be a vet but was too competative for her) so I know she would be well looked after, she would still be a lone bunny though so far from ideal.

Thanks for trying to help, I'm thinking perhaps I don't have the nerves to do it :cry:

By the sound of it it is far too early to say that this is not going to work and from what you have said above it is worth another go but this time to get someone independent to try for you so that they are bonded off your premises and cannot pick up on any of your concerns.

It would be worth contacting a few rescues to see if they can assist you and also putting out an appeal on here to see if someone who is in North London can help you.

As they are indoor bunnies it would be worth thinking about how you would work things when they get home. If you have mainly wood / lino floors they are easy to neutralise. If they are carpets it is worth starting to restrict them from the room that they would initially go into when they return home from being bonded.

By the sound of it it is far too early to say that this is not going to work and from what you have said above it is worth another go but this time to get someone independent to try for you so that they are bonded off your premises and cannot pick up on any of your concerns.

It would be worth contacting a few rescues to see if they can assist you and also putting out an appeal on here to see if someone who is in North London can help you.

As they are indoor bunnies it would be worth thinking about how you would work things when they get home. If you have mainly wood / lino floors they are easy to neutralise. If they are carpets it is worth starting to restrict them from the room that they would initially go into when they return home from being bonded.

Yes....I think that's a good idea, I don't have the confidence to do it myself, I'm 'too involved'.

Luckily the whole place is lino apart from my room (which they don't go in) and a rug in the lounge which could be replaced if neccessary.

Thank you very much for the advice, it is really appreciated.

Back