• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Iodine

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Can you get this over the counter? If so what sort do I need to rinse abcesses? The vets gave me some but not a lot.

You can buy iodine from country/equestrian stores. You need to find out from the vets if they have given you diluted iodine, and if so how dilute, so you know how much water to mix it with.

I think that the vets would have given you neat iodine. Does it not say on the label how to make it up?

I dilute my iodine much more than one part to four.

The iodine I buy (it's a standard human and animal antiseptic over here for everything from washing wounds to treating ringworm to washing hair and body in hospital prior to operations) comes in two strengths: iodine (Betadine) 4% which is a handwash or scrub and lathers up and Betadine 10% which is daubed undiluted (or not further diluted) on wounds, things like ringworm, etc.

The vet has told us to use it on wounds on our animals (cats and dogs) too. I think there's a vet version - Vetadine.

Anyway, for abcesses, I'd use the 10% version but if you buy it from the vet they'll advise you on usage.

Back