• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Not Eating

tobyjones

Young Bun
Hi, I have an 8 year old House Rabbit, who has been off his food for the past two weeks. He has been very prone to GI Stasis throughout his life and I usually pick up on it at the first instance and administer Bio Lapis which usually solves the problem, sometimes with an added gut stimulant injection, although this time it doesn't seem to be solving it.

It almost seems like he is forgetting to get eat, because when you put the bowl in his face he sometimes eats. He also has plenty of timothy hay and parsley.

I took him to the vet 4 days ago and she said that although his stomach was a bit empty it didn't feel like GI Stasis, but gave him his usual injection of Vitamin B5 and a gut stimulator. He has had 3 of these now in a week, 2 of which I have administered.

He is going back to the vets tonight, but I would like to go with some additional information if anyone has any. I'm getting worried now that he doesn't appear to be getting better after 2 weeks.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Did he get his teeth checked, it would be a concern of mine in an older rabbit. I would be looking at getting a gut stimulant and pain relief tonight after an examination to ensure there are no blockages. Fibreplex may be a better option than bio lapis too as it is a probiotic with fibre added to help keep the gut moving.
Good luck.

Thanks Halfpenny, yeah his teeth were fine.
Fibreplex has worked on him in the past so I was thinking that yes.

I will add though that he is NOT acting like he does with GI Stasis either (hunched up, half closed eyes) when he feels like getting up he is still having a hop around, nudging the cats, but he is quiet on the whole atm.

I was also thinking to get his hydration levels checked too.
Thanks for your advice.

He may have some arthritic pain, not at all unusual in older Rabbits. Areas often effected are the hips, lower spine and/or neck. Even if the Rabbit appears to be relatively mobile age related arthritis can cause sufficient discomfort to stop the Rabbit eating.

I would suggest you mention this to the Vet and maybe a trial of a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam may be beneficial.

Back