• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Preparing for operation

Hattie

New Kit
Hello everyone,

Having done some research and read the views of many rabbit owners on this forum I've made the decision that I should neuter our rabbit Luke. It has been a big decision as I'm so scared about something happening during the op and he is very precious to us.

I just wondered if from experience anyone could tell me what he might be like post-op and how it is best for me to care for him and keep his stress to a minimum. Luke is a free-ranging very independent house bunny, will this make a difference in terms of his wound? Do you have to care for the wound in any way or does it heal naturally?

Thank you for any help you can offer, he's booked in for the 14th Sept so I'll have over the weekend to look after him before I have to be in work.

Hattie :)

I don't have a lot of experience with males so hopefully someone with more expertise than me can advise.

But when my girls were spayed they were absolutey fine! Bit grumpy the day it was done and didn't eat until the following day but after a few days they were both back to their usual selves. Have some of his favourite food ready to entice him!

I just checked the wounds every day to make sure they were ok but they healed perfectly. The vet should advise you what after care they will need. Just make sure they give you some pain relief to take home.

Try not to fuss over him too much when you get him home, just leave him be for a while. My understanding is that males tend to recover more quickly than females as the procedure is less invasive. I'm sure he'll be just fine :D

When my boy was done, I left him in a really small toilet (the room not the actual thing :lol: ) and blocked off the only ledge so he didn't jump and ruin his stitches or hurt himself! I checked up on him loads and he woke up very quickly and started playing with the thing I had used to block the ledge! :roll: it is not as bad as you think usually! Xx

Back