• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lineing for outdoor rabbits hutch

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
Hi,

We bought our two boys home on monday and have noticed a problem with their sawdust.

Both rabbits are Lionheads and have long hair. The sawdust is getting stuck in their hair causing matts especially underneath.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what i could line their hutch with. They currently have bedding hay in their bedding area. Would this be ok to line their hutch with? I have a hay feeder for feeding hay and going to start on litter training tomorrow.

Any advise gratefully recieved

foxy

Woodshavings are generally not good, they are messy and not very absorbent, also can cause breathing problems.

I recommend lino :wave: It's wipe clean and then have the hay in a litter tray and hay rack over the litter tray :) you could still use hay in the bed area but also lino in there too :) it protects the wood too :thumb: non slip lino is what we use :wave:

After advice on here I stopped using sawdust, my rabbits are much happier :D, I have lino and blankets, I put cheap hay in there toilet box, within a week my 12 week old rabbits were toilet trained I just change there toilet every day and their blankets once or twice a week :thumb:. I called into a small pet place last week too see how much her hay was and she looked at me like I was bonkers that I did not use sawdust but blankets instead lol, my rabbits have a cushy life :love:

Thank you so much never would have thought of lino for them. Dh going to look for a off cut at work tomorrow.

Sorry for all the questions i'm a first time owner who just wants to do the right thing for her boys

Thank you so much never would have thought of lino for them. Dh going to look for a off cut at work tomorrow.

Sorry for all the questions i'm a first time owner who just wants to do the right thing for her boys

Questions are good! :D Our lino was £14 and we did a 6 x 2 hutch, a 2ish foot x 1ish foot box for a litter tray, and a 5ft hutch with it :thumb:

I have lined the top floor with a dog bed and then a sheepskin rug in the sleeping box. I use hay for the bottom floor, recycling what they didn't eat out of the rack the day before. Seem to be happy with it :D

Back