• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To get a rabbit out of a carrier...

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
.. would you find it acceptable for a vet to take the front (door) part off the carrier and then tip the carrier forward for get the rabbit out?

I prefer (dependent on the rabbit) for the vet to reach into the carrier for the rabbit or take the top off the carrier and lift the rabbit from there/examine rabbit whilst in base of carrier if necessary/appropriate.

So if the tipping method is used the rabbit resists and is probably confused and frightened - more so than the other methods. Possibly they resist to the point where it becomes dangerous as they are likely to fall/dart out when it's tipped to a severe angle. I've had this done to Bungee years ago until she was nearly vertical and digging her feet in desperately. I was uncomfortable with it but said nothing as didn't feel I could criticise at the time. I do object to things I don't like now. I actually find it quite cruel/disrespectful - anyone want to share their opnions?

I would see that as last resort if it isn't a type of carrier where you can take the lid off. I usually pop the carrier on the table and before the vet even thinks of the tipping method she's roped into helping take the top off the carrier anyway.

I bought a open top carrier for my rabbits so it's easier to get to them. Wouldn't have any other now.

It depends. for Dee, who is a little saint, we put a towel on the bottom of our carrier and pull the towel out - she stays put bless her. For alfie and rosy we do tip it up gently, not much at all though.

I've never known that. Most vets have always lifted Doughnut out. I've occasionally opened the front and she's just jumped out as she's so nosey, but I wouldn't be happy about tilting her out.

It's my job to get Stephen out for his vet checks, but I deliberately bought a cat carrier with an opening top so I can reach in to get him out.
Can understand the tipping method though, if I were a vet I wouldn't want to reach my hands into a carrier which is your animals 'space' and risk getting bitted :( but I can see your point as to why it isn't good.

It's my job to get Stephen out for his vet checks, but I deliberately bought a cat carrier with an opening top so I can reach in to get him out.
Can understand the tipping method though, if I were a vet I wouldn't want to reach my hands into a carrier which is your animals 'space' and risk getting bitted :( but I can see your point as to why it isn't good.

Yeah, I can understand the risk of injury to them. The reason I'm questioning it is that this was done to Erin last night, I didn't know if it was fairly standard practice. Before the vet tipped the carrier he took the front off the carrier and Erin (gentle, sweet Erin) peered out of the gap - she didn't look at all dangerous! I just felt tipping her out was uncalled for. I said quickly that she wouldn't come out that way and unclipped the top of the carrier to prevent her getting more scared than she was.

Thinking about it, I don't think any vets I've seen has taken my rabbits out of the carrier, they've always asked me too. Which is the sensible option I think :lol:

Thinking about it, I don't think any vets I've seen has taken my rabbits out of the carrier, they've always asked me too. Which is the sensible option I think :lol:

I've wondered about that being standard practice in some places too but from my point of view the vet has to handle the rabbit to examine then so you've got the potentially awkward/risky exchange from one person to another so I feel it's best that they get a grip of the bunny from the start. Having had Artie dive off the table when he was a youngster I tend to feel they should take responsibility for their safety from the start - unless they specifically ask you to hold them while they attend to something.

I think I have a real fear of them leaping/falling off the table. I physically can't lift them at table height - any lifting of bunnies I do from ground level or maybe about 2ft high, my left arm just isn't strong enough to lift them from standard table height.

Last edited:
All the vets have taken her out of the top, but I'm useless and can't pick her up. The last vet had trouble picking her up from the top as she was racing round the small space in the carrier, but he persisted and didn't open the front.

I used to open the front when I first got her and she came out but soon learnt that it's the top to open!

I've always got my rabbits out of the carrier for the vet, whether at old vets or new vets. SO much easier with the Cabrio carriers though!

I always get them out myself. I got the cabrio because it is so much less stressful for them.

The cats have a normal front opening carrier, which I hate, and I am upgrading soon, but I do sometimes tilt it to get them out a bit easier. I would never do that with rabbits though as I think it might spook them?

I almost always take multiple buns to the vets as they are bonded. I take the bunny needing treatment out of the carrier myself. Think it is less scary for the buns that way. I then hold the bun on the table while the vet checks whatever is necessary depending on why I am there. My vet knows I prefer to hold them myself and is happy for me to do this.

I always get them out, grayson is the only one that comes bounding out, he is sooo adaptable, dosen;t matter where he is or who he is with he is always friendly and wanting to play IE sniff you for food!

My big girl needs a huge carrier so I open the front door while it's sitting on the floor at the vets.
She then potters out under her own steam, then I pick her up & put her on the exam table if required.
Her little husband usually lurks at the door but there is plenty of room to pick him up.
This seems to work for us because they are both quite brave curious buns.
Previous buns I had different systems.
But the tipping thing sounds appalling!
TBH I always control whats done to my buns at the vets!
I always take the lead re handling as I think they are more used to me & me them.

I almost always take multiple buns to the vets as they are bonded. I take the bunny needing treatment out of the carrier myself. Think it is less scary for the buns that way. I then hold the bun on the table while the vet checks whatever is necessary depending on why I am there. My vet knows I prefer to hold them myself and is happy for me to do this.

This :wave:

Our vets just pick them out from the door opening :) and then carry/hold them brilliantly.. Bit jealous really :lol: they don't make one bit of fuss :roll: and then I have to handle them and I get beat up :evil: :lol:

Leo usually hops out as it's extra fuss :lol:

Yeah, I can understand the risk of injury to them. The reason I'm questioning it is that this was done to Erin last night, I didn't know if it was fairly standard practice. Before the vet tipped the carrier he took the front off the carrier and Erin (gentle, sweet Erin) peered out of the gap - she didn't look at all dangerous! I just felt tipping her out was uncalled for. I said quickly that she wouldn't come out that way and unclipped the top of the carrier to prevent her getting more scared than she was.

Hmm. I don't have a lot of experience with taking bunnies to the vets so can't tell you if it's standard or not I'm afraid. I suppose the best thing would be for the vet to ask about the rabbit's temperament to assess whether or not it is necessary to tip the carrier, as with your Erin, Stephen wouldn't hurt a fly and could happily be lifted out the front of a carrier if needs be, but you never know how an animal is going to react when they're stressed I suppose :?

This is why I get Stephen out and hold him on the table, so I can make sure he's ok.

My vet puts his hand in through the door and picks him up. Makes it look so easy :lol: I never have to take him out of the carrier, when we get home I just put it down and open the door and he hops out. Sometimes I have to give him a bit of a tip out of his bed though, as it has a roof! I just lift it up slightly at the back until he realises he needs to get out for me :lol:

Back