• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Benjamin died, 'Proteus Syndrome' suspected?? (like John Merrick) HEARTBROKEN.

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck
Has anyone ever heard of Proteus Syndrome in a rabbit?? I had to release my beloved, my precious Benjamin from his struggles on Saturday just gone, as nothing was helping him in anyway at all. However, what was happening to poor benjamin was something the team of vets at my surgery had never seen or heard of, and even a researcher in London that my vets contacted had heard of ether. Benjamin's xrays showed that he had a massive bone growth acceleration going on in his skull and jaw, deforming the entire shape and structure of his head. Characteristically it was very similar to medical imaging of John Merrick's (Elephant Man) skull images. I allowed them to keep my beloved Benjamin to try and do further research and try, if possible to find out what the hell had over taken my beautiful, gentle, sweet natured rabbit away from me and his adored wifebun Marge. The changes of structure were not like tumours nether, it was just the entire bone structure was altering and reforming at such a rapid rate. The grief and the ''Why? What??? HOW???'' is overwhelming, I just wish, hope and pray that somehow, an answer will be found as to why this happened to him. What caused this occurrance in my poor, innocent Benjamin that has totally baffled his medical team, myself, and beyond.

I am very very sorry to hear about Benjamin.:cry::cry::cry:

I hope that the team are able to find something to benefit other animals in the future.

I am very very sorry to hear about Benjamin.:cry::cry::cry:

I hope that the team are able to find something to benefit other animals in the future.

Thankyou, I do too, do very much. I was so torn about allowing him to be used for research, but I also knew he had left that malfunctioning vehicle, his body, and moved on to somewhere that he had no use or need of his earthly body; but still, not easy. There may be no answers even so, but |I guess without the opportunity to research, there never will be, and in that case, there will never be a chance of a cure. It may be futile, I just dont know. Am still too rocked and shaken to make sense of any of it yet I think...:cry:

Thankyou, I do too, do very much. I was so torn about allowing him to be used for research, but I also knew he had left that malfunctioning vehicle, his body, and moved on to somewhere that he had no use or need of his earthly body; but still, not easy. There may be no answers even so, but |I guess without the opportunity to research, there never will be, and in that case, there will never be a chance of a cure. It may be futile, I just dont know. Am still too rocked and shaken to make sense of any of it yet I think...:cry:

It was a very brave decision. I know it must be very hard for you. Hopefully it will help them to find out something about what Benjamin had.

It was a very brave decision. I know it must be very hard for you. Hopefully it will help them to find out something about what Benjamin had.

I'd practically made my mind up about doing this before I took him in for release, I couldn't let his struggles, his passing be in vain, not over something like this. It still may lead to nothing, but I will always know that even though I couldn't help him, maybe one day, the research on him may just help another rabbit or animal, but there's no guarantee. It's little comfort just yet, but more comforting than living with the knowledge that I did nothing regarding such a rare, so far unheard of case regarding the possibly the welbeing of other rabbits. I think I'm still a bit too stunned to think straight, but I feel I did right in this case. I hope I did.

I'm so sorry to hear of Benjamin's passing. :cry:
I've never heard of this being found in rabbit's but I think I recently read about it in dogs...so I suppose it's not unheard of. :(
Again I'm so sorry. Comforting vibes coming your way. ((((((((((((((((( hugs to you ))))))))))))))

I'd practically made my mind up about doing this before I took him in for release, I couldn't let his struggles, his passing be in vain, not over something like this. It still may lead to nothing, but I will always know that even though I couldn't help him, maybe one day, the research on him may just help another rabbit or animal, but there's no guarantee. It's little comfort just yet, but more comforting than living with the knowledge that I did nothing regarding such a rare, so far unheard of case regarding the possibly the welbeing of other rabbits. I think I'm still a bit too stunned to think straight, but I feel I did right in this case. I hope I did.

If I was asked I think I would too, even though it would be painful to do. I am sure it would be kept on some sort of medical research that could benefit those in the future. It would be a very important start at least.

How old was Benjamin when his problems started ? I am sorry I am not familiar with his history.

Benjamin had problems from being a baby, Jane. He came to me with a broken leg, fractured skull, deaf, brain damaged, E.C, and had a number of fights for his life regarding fluid build up on his brain. However, at no point, until very recently, did this change in the structure of his bone formation show itself. Whether or not it's related is unknown, would it have happened anyway? Is there any relation from his past to what caused his death? Why now? Why so very sudden and so extremely fast? He was doing so well, the fluids hadn't happened for a long time, it was just SO sudden. Only weeks earlier he had xrays regarding his teeth, and nothing, not a thing showed up then.
THIS was the Benjamin that I took into my care originally, you may remember when you see his video blog...
I cant watch this myself at the moment, but anyway... My precious, beautiful Benjamin's early story..
xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecES6DxHibQ

I'm so sorry to hear of Benjamin's passing. :cry:
I've never heard of this being found in rabbit's but I think I recently read about it in dogs...so I suppose it's not unheard of. :(
Again I'm so sorry. Comforting vibes coming your way. ((((((((((((((((( hugs to you ))))))))))))))

I will go have a search for this MimzMum, thankyou so much for the pointer, it may, just possibly give the lead we are searching for... Thankyou! xx

What a dear precious boy. I am so very sorry and sad to see he had such a terrible start in life. What an amazing job you did with Benjamin. (((((hugs)))))

Poor Benjamin :cry: It sounds like some sort of fibrous dysplasia of bone :?

I can imagine how devastated you much be feeling :cry:

So sorry to hear of your loss, and so glad you rescued this bunny and gave him the life he deserved.

Thinking of you, binky free little one..

not the same, but my niece is having very similar problems at the minute, exactly as you've describe benjamin, since new years day, and there are so far no answers for her, benjamin might just help hoomins as well as animals now. xx

Poor Benjamin :cry: It sounds like some sort of fibrous dysplasia of bone :?

I can imagine how devastated you much be feeling :cry:

I really dont know Jane, but the onset was so frighteningly fast. Months, possibly I could make sense of, but just a few weeks from a normal structure to one so deformed and changed, it just seems to defy any sort of logic or physical possiblity. I wish he hadn't had to go, but I couldn't let him stay, not like that.

He was such a little cutie, I'm so sorry :cry: Hope you get some answers. Binky free Benjamin xx

I hope I do too Helen, although I know the answers may not be there, or at least, maybe not yet. But one day perhaps they will be, and my beautiful Benjamin may be the one who helped them to be found.
xx

So sorry to hear of your loss, and so glad you rescued this bunny and gave him the life he deserved.

Thinking of you, binky free little one..

not the same, but my niece is having very similar problems at the minute, exactly as you've describe benjamin, since new years day, and there are so far no answers for her, benjamin might just help hoomins as well as animals now. xx

I am so terribly sorry to hear this! May God bless your little niece, and bless the doctors and surgeons with the skills they need to be able to find some answers.
xx

So very sorry to hear you lost your beautiful boy, you must be just devestated. Binky-free Benjamin and RIP. xxx

Back