• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eeek first rabbit neuter ever

bekki2308

Young Bun
My girl Mrs Mop is in for neuter today. I adopted her (from a friend) back in February and now but due to her being skittish and not knowing me I didnt want to put her through a neuter then, and now I have time off work so I have time to watch her she is getting done :) She is anything upto 4 years not sure on age at all.

Any advice on what to watch for when she comes home?

My first bun Poppy was spayed last December at 4 years old :) she was a nightmare :roll: :lol: only because she opened her wound and she spent 2 weeks in the puppy pen! :lol:

Blankets or towels, small area so she can't hurt herself by running about, hay raised off the ground in hay racks and maybe use a towel as a litter tray to keep an eye on poop and pee coming out :) she might take a while to poop and eat so try not to worry too much initially, just keep and eye on it :) Poppy didn't eat or poo for ages.. But when we woke up in the morning, there was poo everywhere and her food was gone :lol:

She'll be fine :love:

My rabbit was neutered at the age of 5 and a half 2 days ago! I'd advise totally cleaning the cage of all poos/wees so then you can see if she does poo or wee. No straw/hay on the ground as it can stick in their wound and cause infections/soreness, just newspaper and I have shredded some for her bed compartment. My dee has had some complications and she's inside our house, she's very poorly at the moment because she hasn't been eating since the spay so you'll have to keep an eye on what she eats, and drinks. I'd advise giving her her favourite tit-bits, like dandelion leaves, a little bit of carrot etc to tempt her into eating. If you have a snugglesafe,then I would recommend heating it up and placing it inside her cage, especially if she is outdoors (although I would recommend strongly bringing her inside) and I wouldnt let her out of her cage for at least 1 day to minimise the risk of pulling her wound if she exercises too much. I'm sure she'll be fine, my dee got through the actual spay fine, she just isnt eating which is typical for her :roll: Don't worry too much if she doesnt eat on the first day though, most rabbits dont, it's if theyre not eating the next day or pooing that I'd be getting a little concerned if it was me. Good luck!

Hope bunny recovers well. I always put my rabbits, after neuter, back in familiar surroundings. This I believe helps them in their recovery. Cleanliness is paramount also as well as peace and quiet.

Usually my two girls have the run of an entire large double bedroom and then the landing and bathroom while im with them so yeah she wont be doing that! Their hutch is a 5ft double so even that isnt small to stop her moving. Shes a laid back girl who doesnt really groom herself so I do that for her so I dont think pulling her stitches out will be a problem. Her friend is boisterous and much younger and grooms mop quite vigorously and wants to play all the time so I was thinking of putting mop in my hospital cage (80cm rabbit cage) as she is a small bun and can lay out and move in it and it would allow the two buns to see each other but would mean keeping track of mops poo and wee was easy and the newspaper could be changed frequently and monitoring her food would be easy.

i can phone up at 1pm to get a pick up time for her :) ive even took the day off work tomorrow to keep an eye on her, and I dont work weekends so fingers crossed its all fine. I have her favourite foods in as I grow them :) she loves basil in particular and round lettuce.

:)

ive been shopping for her favourite hay, dried forage mix etc spent £15 on bits and bobs for her in teh pet shop (all the other animals like the stuff too so im not too mad :p)

183793_10151246615902573_2070227982_n.jpg

She is home :) and she has eaten a smidge of plantain stuff and a strand of hay :)

Im a proud bun mum :)

Shes drinking from her bottle and eating her normal food (from a hamster bowl so I can track how much she is eating better) though I cant get her to eat critical care or fibreplex but as she is eating her normal food and nibbling her hay im not worried about her .... and she is pooing and weeing normally.

I am over the moon with her so far , other than when she kicked me for trying to give her the fiberplex!

She has eaten 3 hamster bowls of food and drank about 200ml liquid in 24 hours which seems pretty reasonable

Back