• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent! Urgent! Possible myxmatosis?

Natty123

Warren Scout
Hi all,
So this morning I went out to feed the rabbits and my little albino baby (6 weeks today) has one eye completely closed shut. The other eye is fine and seems to be normal but I am terrified of it being a disease as I haven't given the rabbits their jabs as there were babies and wasn't sure which was the mum. Is it possibly myxymatosis (not sure how to spell it)? Or maybe something to do with it being an albino as it's the only bunny like it? Or is it just something in it's eye or something like that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :cry:

check the following:

genitals - are they red/swollen

nose: ditto

eyes: are they running or just one closed?

ears: are they hot and slightly thick at base?

I would also ring vet and ask at what age they will give the new vac (or old one if thats what they are still using).

PS Is the mother vaccinated? If so. and if she breast fed (so to speak) she will infer a certain amount of immunity until they stop feeding off her.

It is probably an eye infection but the only way you are going to find out for sure is to consult a Vet. So I suggest you do so today

Good luck :)

Right, so we have brought it in the house and kept it away from the other rabbits. We cleaned the gunk from it's eye and the eye looks ok (can't really tell because it's red anyway) I checked its genitals and the bit that 'pops' out was a little red and veiny but I'm not really too sure what it's meant to be like? It's ears were quite warm, but not swollen. I don't think the mother has been vaccinated (not certain which is the mother but I think I know). I was just wondering whether it would be safe to put the baby in our spare kennel next to the other rabbits cage? Can myxomotosis be spread through the air? Also, I'm taking the baby to the vets later today to have it checked. I can't risk losing all my rabbits for one vet check two minutes away!

It sounds like baby has hurt his eye or something poked it. He will keep it closed for a day or 2 to protect it until it gets better. Having said that you must do what you think best but I doubt it is myxy.

I would actually ensure that all your rabbits are vaccinated against myxomatosis as soon as they are old enough - including all rabbits who might be the mothers/fathers. It is a cruel and largely preventable disease that causes agonising death.

Back