• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BB took herself over the gap to Lucky's Run - Will she be pregnant?

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
My sister has two Bunnies who live "together" but separate as BB is female and Lucky is Male. BB is just 5 months old and Lucky is about 5 never been with a girl and wasn't planning on it, so he has all his bits.

He is a placid Bunny but she is 'nutts', digs up the garden, bombs around like a mad thing, but she is still a baby i suppose.

She decided to jump out of her run and into his, through a 6" gap in the cover, determined little devil, think they only spent 20 - 30 mins together but have been next to each other, since she came home.

When found out Lucky was doing what Lucky does and just bimbling aroud the run and BB was in the den box.

As this is the first time they have ever been together would they have mated, and if so, would there be any tell tale signes or is it just wait and see shat happens in about 28 days.

:shock:

I agree that an spay would be in the best interests of all Rabbits concerned. So I'd advise that a Vet is consulted ASAP.

It is very possible - although if you are very very lucky she may not yet be hormonal - it depends where she is on the scale of development.

The vet will not be able to tell for a few weeks so you can either have an emergency spay done now (again depending of the vet is confident spaying rabbits under 6 months - some are some aren't) or you can wait.

Unfrtunately 5 months is also really too young to go through the effort etc of being pregnant and having the babies - so you have decisions to make there along with your vet.

Personally I would spay but am slightly wary in case you do not have a vet who is used to doing this. If you do go ahead perhaps you could ask on here for a 'rabbit savvy vet' in your area (start a new thread with that heading)..

I would suggest however that you do immediately castrate the male - it is a quick and easy op. and will stop this problem ever happening again as well as stopping him getting frustrated and fed up - it will make him more friendly as well!

yes its likely, take her to the vets they will possibly spay her now :wave:

Thanks will let my sister know!

If she lets her have the Babies Lucky is a Lop eared and BB is straight.

Obviously as this wasn't a planned mating i have only just thought of the genetics.

Michele

What Parsnipbun said plus if they are both neutered then they can both properly live together not just near each other.

It is very possible - although if you are very very lucky she may not yet be hormonal - it depends where she is on the scale of development.

The vet will not be able to tell for a few weeks so you can either have an emergency spay done now (again depending of the vet is confident spaying rabbits under 6 months - some are some aren't) or you can wait.

Unfrtunately 5 months is also really too young to go through the effort etc of being pregnant and having the babies - so you have decisions to make there along with your vet.

Personally I would spay but am slightly wary in case you do not have a vet who is used to doing this. If you do go ahead perhaps you could ask on here for a 'rabbit savvy vet' in your area (start a new thread with that heading)..

I would suggest however that you do immediately castrate the male - it is a quick and easy op. and will stop this problem ever happening again as well as stopping him getting frustrated and fed up - it will make him more friendly as well!

If Lucky was any friendlier we could wear him as a scarf, now and again he will stamp his foot, when in the kitchen but that just i'm here where is my treat! he loves a brush and fuss not too fond on being held unless on his back then he's pretty much putty.

Thanks
:)

If Lucky was any friendlier we could wear him as a scarf, now and again he will stamp his foot, when in the kitchen but that just i'm here where is my treat! he loves a brush and fuss not too fond on being held unless on his back then he's pretty much putty.

Thanks
:)

we had/have an un-nuetered male like that!!! - we only neutered him after he too managed to have an 'accident' - actually 6 little accidents.

PS lying on the back actually makes them go into a stress response to predators - it looks so relaxed and cute I know - but they are actually pretending to be dead so the predator will let go. We hold our 'soft as putty' buns up against us instead.

we had/have an un-nuetered male like that!!! - we only neutered him after he too managed to have an 'accident' - actually 6 little accidents.

PS lying on the back actually makes them go into a stress response to predators - it looks so relaxed and cute I know - but they are actually pretending to be dead so the predator will let go. We hold our 'soft as putty' buns up against us instead.

Hi
Usually he is cradled like a baby he likes his tummy rubbed like that but if you touch his back feet they tremble for a second but he doesnt struggle to get away, is this stress or does he like it? Wouldn't do it if i thought it was bad. :-(

My Stu wont be held on his back at all he preferrs sitting under my chin as close as he can.

Thanks will let my sister know!

If she lets her have the Babies Lucky is a Lop eared and BB is straight.

Obviously as this wasn't a planned mating i have only just thought of the genetics.

Michele

ear type doesnt matter, if hes a larger breed than her that is likely to cause issues if she has a litter!

Hi
Usually he is cradled like a baby he likes his tummy rubbed like that but if you touch his back feet they tremble for a second but he doesnt struggle to get away, is this stress or does he like it? Wouldn't do it if i thought it was bad. :-(

My Stu wont be held on his back at all he preferrs sitting under my chin as close as he can.

He is in a trance, it puts massive pressure on his heart :( Before I knew better I did this to one of my rabbits and his gums turned blue :( He won't struggle to get away, because he physically cant :(

ear type doesnt matter, if hes a larger breed than her that is likely to cause issues if she has a litter!

He is in a trance, it puts massive pressure on his heart :( Before I knew better I did this to one of my rabbits and his gums turned blue :( He won't struggle to get away, because he physically cant :(

They are both same size rabbits so no problems there, will tell them not to put on their backs then.

I only tried it to clip feet, but mine won't have it anyway. Your gonna tell me that it bad to clip claws as well :?

They are both same size rabbits so no problems there, will tell them not to put on their backs then.

I only tried it to clip feet, but mine won't have it anyway. Your gonna tell me that it bad to clip claws as well :?

well thats slightly better then! :wave:

Nope not at all (unless your yanking them out or something!) I can see why its tempting to trance them to clip their claws, I'm so glad mine live outside and don't need it!

Back