• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeds with very long ears?

XxLeanne

Warren Scout
My rabbit Joey has rediculous long ears that touch the floor now they have lopped, they used to helicopter but he in the last two days has had them lopped down completely, he's the complete opposite to my Lionlop who has a flat face whereas Joey has a long nose. When I got him I thought he would grow into them but it's asif they have grown with him he has got so much bigger but his ears look as though they have too, he is over 4 months now and I know he will grow still but I just cannot see how he would get big enough to even out those ears lol so my question being what breeds have this? I got him on my birthday and am unsure of breed :(

I can get a picture on my lunch break

Ooo they think thy remmeber reading he was something cross English something?

Last edited:
It could have been, something cross English lop, although his ears arnt as big as an English lops as he is a cross would they be smaller? Or does that mean he can't be cross English lop? I know it doesn't really matter about breed but it's nice to know :)

I had a frenchie that's ears touched the ground.

An english lops trail on the ground - I bonded one once & she used to stand on them with he back feet - they were paper thin & ripped. horrific really

I had a frenchie that's ears touched the ground.

An english lops trail on the ground - I bonded one once & she used to stand on them with he back feet - they were paper thin & ripped. horrific really

That's sad :( I had an english lop and luckily there were no probs with her ears.

My Barnaby is a German lop/Lionhead and his ears are fairly long and wide too. My favourite thing is when Mylo snuggles next to him and wears his ear as a hat!
P1040894.jpg

My French lops ears touch the ground, they are BIG bunnies though so quite distinctive... As you said, he may e a cross?

He's deffiantly not just an English lip compared to those beauties his ears are tiny, but here's a pic that shows off his ear size well lol

89F31753-AB72-4D9F-8AFE-B0C03EB15597-6272-0000034959D83EC0.jpg

My boyfriend thinks when he got him it said Dutch cross English something :/ eh I dunno! Lol

He's deffiantly not just an English lip compared to those beauties his ears are tiny, but here's a pic that shows off his ear size well lol

89F31753-AB72-4D9F-8AFE-B0C03EB15597-6272-0000034959D83EC0.jpg

My boyfriend thinks when he got him it said Dutch cross English something :/ eh I dunno! Lol

He wouldn't have lop ears if he was crossed with a dutch and an english as both has uppy ears and would have some white markings on him. He's a lop cross, maybe rex cross lop they have pretty long ears.

He wouldn't have lop ears if he was crossed with a dutch and an english as both has uppy ears and would have some white markings on him. He's a lop cross, maybe rex cross lop they have pretty long ears.

Depends if its an English lop he's crossed with! Is he quite young? he may grow in to his ears yet. I would say the ear and face shape is more of a frenchie than a german or dwarf lop who tend to be more rounded and squished looking. If he is cross frenchie he's likely to get quite big and won't be fully grown till 12/18 months.

ETA dutch rabbits have quite long/thin faces so a Dutch cross English Lop would fit, the ears could be any length between the two breeds and lop or stay upright. I have a minilop with very short ears making me think she may be cross Nethie.

Last edited:
English lops dont necessarily have mega long ears, if yours is a cross then it might be that hes an english lop cross.

My Alexander is an English lop but doesn't have mega long ears....heres a pic of him when he was younger

SS100922.jpg

Depends if its an English lop he's crossed with! Is he quite young? he may grow in to his ears yet. I would say the ear and face shape is more of a frenchie than a german or dwarf lop who tend to be more rounded and squished looking. If he is cross frenchie he's likely to get quite big and won't be fully grown till 12/18 months.

ETA dutch rabbits have quite long/thin faces so a Dutch cross English Lop would fit, the ears could be any length between the two breeds and lop or stay upright. I have a minilop with very short ears making me think she may be cross Nethie.

Ah I was thinking of the English spotted one, not the lop. He looks pretty big, so wouldn't be surprised if he's crossed with a frenchie or another giant rabbit breed like the papillon rabbit which has very large ears, I bet crossing that with a lop they would still be huge.

Back