• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Rack Identification - U/D response from Burgess

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Has anyone seen those hay racks that are green metal, hay on one side bin feeder on the other? I need to identify it asap and contact the manufacture with a safety warning.

Last edited:
If you put a photo up it may help people to identify it for you. If you are unable to post a photo pm me and I will give you an email address to send a picture to and will post the picture for you

I have some, but mine were made by burgess many years ago so if you've bought one at a pet shop recently I don't think they'll be the same, I got mine from a vet stand at an agricultural show, I think theyd had them a long time and wanted rid

Can we ask what the safety concern is?

Thanks I've found it - it was burgess. Its advertised as safe for rabbits and piggies.

If anyone has one for their piggies please throw it away immediately, my Merry piggy sadly lost his life on Weds after getting his head stuck and breaking his neck. It was very traumatic and the emergancy vet had no choice but to end his suffering.

I have asked burgess to remove them from sale immediately.

I would imagine any small buns like nethies could potentially be at risk too.

So sorry to hear that, how traumatic that must have been for you :cry: RIP little piggie.

If you are able to post a picture of the hay rack, that would be really helpful to help warn others, as I am unable to picture in my head what sort you mean.

Not the best pic I'm afraid, hubby was upset and tried to destroy it.

photo-1.jpg

Update on response from Burgess

They have advised this is an old product and should no longer be in circulation but as I bought this recently they are instructing all their sales reps to contact their suppliers and ensure no more are in circulation.

In addition they have offered to contribute towards the vet fees incurred.

I'm so sorry to hear that, how awful :( They are very old so there shouldn't be many about, glad to hear Burgess are contacting people though. I don't use mine anymore and certainly wont be using them again

Oh god how horrible :cry: sorry for your loss, RIP little one. I know you have to be careful with guineas heads and holes as they get stuck very easily. Like certain C&C grids can be quite dangerous if they are the wrong size

Back