• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a lone Bunny a Happy Bunny?

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
I have a lone bunny called Stu, he is very social and looks for attention whenever or whoever is in the garden when he is in the run, doesn't always get out of be in the morning but his bed is very comfy cat bed pillow with fur edges, he loves it, and doesn't chew it.

I start a new job in a few weeks shift work, so will not be home as much to play with him, will be fall out with me or now that the bond is made will he just look for more attention when he gets it.

Thanks

Michele

He wont fall out with you.
He may have his nose out of joint for a wee bit, but he'll probably miss you a lot if you are going to have to spend less time with him.
I have 3 buns, Angel, Bailey and Parsley.
We tried to bond Angel and Parsley and they had a fight, so we are now in the process of bonding Angel and Bailey.
We've been giving Parsley loads of attention but because he can still sense there is another bunny in the house he seems lonley. :(
The plan is to obviously get him a wee pal once Angel and Bailey are sorted.
But it still breaks my heart seeing him acting all sad, can't wait to get him a friend.
So I guesse what i'm saying is he might end up being really lonely and maybe then you should think of getting him a wee pal from a local rescue?
:)

I board rabbits and to be honest most of the single rabbits have a sort of 'dejected' look about them and most are desperate for company. Of course you will always get the odd bun who does not want a friend. I suppose if they are house rabbits and get a lot of attention normally they are happy but I always feel really sorry for the ones who are outdoor buns ...I give a 'goodbye sheet' when they leave with info about rescues and getting buns a friend.

Thanks, I have been wondering if getting him a pal would keep him company, you get so many differenct views even from pet shops, lone bunny or pair, mostly they dont know. I got Stu as my sisters boyfriends brother was assured that they had two Girls, WRONG! resulting in two litters even though they took the male out as soon they found the first litter, sneaky bunny anatomy! so free to a good home, mind he has cost me a fortune since, the local pet shop do older rescue / unwanted bunnies, if he starts to look too lonely i may have a look. Little bit worried about bonding tho, cant have two lonley Bunnies in same house that would make mt cry.

Michele:)

If you go to a local rescue they may be able to help you with the bonding or maybe a member on here who has experience may help out.

Unfortunately most pet shops know xxxxx all about rabbits. If you get a bun from a rescue it will be neutered and vet checked which it wont be from a pet shop and if the bond didnt work you could swap for another more suitable bun instead of being stuck with 2 singles.

Good luck :D

Almost all bunnies are happier with a friend.

There's the odd one that doesn't get along with other buns (though that doesn't mean they wouldn't get along with any but just that they didn't like the ones they were paired with) but they're the exception.

After having a bonded pair of rabbits, I wouldn't ever choose to keep a bun single as its obvious to me how much happier they are with company of their own kind.
There are obviously always some circumstances where bunnies are best kept single though, it really depends on the rabbit.

My Milo was a happy bunny when he was on his own and always loved my attention. But since getting his wife bun he is a totally different happy. When I look back I think maybe he was just content with life, now he and his wife never leave each others side and really are happy. :love::love:

Is your rabbit neutered? (Sorry if you've said and I missed)

No he is just 5 months old and I have had him since 8th May, we were told he was a girl too and one day
on the let me see for sure test, there were two little extra bits, so that was a shock.

Didnt really want to put him though 'OP' if it wasnt necessary not like he can wonder off next door like a cat,
but was wondering about the frustration factor, if Bunnies have one.:?

yeah they so get frustrates by the hormones if they don't get neutered, plus when you get him a pal it'll be easier to bond :)

No he is just 5 months old and I have had him since 8th May, we were told he was a girl too and one day
on the let me see for sure test, there were two little extra bits, so that was a shock.

Didnt really want to put him though 'OP' if it wasnt necessary not like he can wonder off next door like a cat,

Neutering takes care of many behavioral problems (frustration, spraying, humping, etc) and health problems and is necessary for bonding. My male got a tumor in his testicle :( There's also the risk of testicular cancer.

Almost all rabbits are happier with a companion.

Definitely worth having him neutered - for health and happiness.

Once he has been neutered you could then approach a rescue (lots of Rabbits in Need on here) with a view to them bonding him with a spayed female.

My Dee is a single bun, she has been since 2010 when she lost her partner. She's only been spayed recently but she has never ever tolerated any bunny company except her partner, who like I said, died in 2010. She's not a huge 'person' bunny either, she wasnt treated very well as a young kit (rescued her from an appalling pet shop) and I am the only person that can get close to her comfortably without her lunging/biting out of terror. She seems perfectly happy by herself, she doesnt binky (due to her age) but she is always bright and active, and always gets up to mischief! on the other hand, my other 2 bunnies are bonded and they had to be single for a while (doe and buck from same litter, had to be neutered/spayed then bonded) and they hated it! they were definitely not happy, so i think it depends on the rabbit!

I am sort of getting the feeling that two is better than one!, not sure what the husband will have to say about that, but then he said no to having the rabbit in the first place, as we have 2 cats, and i got him anyway, lol

First move 'Bits Chopped'
Then Rest and Recuperation
Bigger Run - if there will be 2
Nice gentle Girlfriend maybe

Thanks for all your advice, rescue centre here i come.

:thumb:

I am sort of getting the feeling that two is better than one!, not sure what the husband will have to say about that, but then he said no to having the rabbit in the first place, as we have 2 cats, and i got him anyway, lol

First move 'Bits Chopped'
Then Rest and Recuperation
Bigger Run - if there will be 2
Nice gentle Girlfriend maybe

Thanks for all your advice, rescue centre here i come.

:thumb:

Sounds good to me!
Except I would omit the 'maybe' after Girlfriend! :)

Doughnut is a house rabbit who is on her own. I couldn't afford to get two and with her hutch and pen she has a good amount of space to herself while I'm at work but if I had two I think it would be too cramped. She is always doing binkies and racing up and down the house and is very spoilt. I'm not sure she would actually like to share the attention but I guess it depends on if I choose the right rabbit to be her companion. She's been spayed. I'd hate think she is lonely.

Doughnut is a house rabbit who is on her own. I couldn't afford to get two and with her hutch and pen she has a good amount of space to herself while I'm at work but if I had two I think it would be too cramped. She is always doing binkies and racing up and down the house and is very spoilt. I'm not sure she would actually like to share the attention but I guess it depends on if I choose the right rabbit to be her companion. She's been spayed. I'd hate think she is lonely.

Your bun looks super cute :D

I do like to one to one attention and if i get him a pal, maybe he wont love me as much, the i would be sad.

Thanks, this is what she looked like when I feel in love with her. A lot of new members have been commenting on her cuteness recently.

Me6.jpg

I think if she was an outdoor rabbit then I would have gone another one but she's indoors with me and bonding seems to be quite a long process. I couldn't keep her in the same hutch with a new rabbit so it's just not feasible for me and then like you say, what if they just don't bond you will have two single rabbits!!

I think Doughnut likes being queen bee.

Last edited:
Back