• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can I have good vibes for Walter: Trichobezoar UD: Home but very poorly

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi,
My lovely rescue bun Walter who I have had for three months got diagnosed today with a Trichobezoar after she sedated him to look at his teeth and they were normal and he had an AXR which showed he had a massively distended and blocked tummy. The biggest she has ever seen.

I feel terrible, he has lost a lot of weight but its only become apparent this weekend so I got him to the Vets asap. He is having to stay in overnight for subcut fluids and pain relief with his wifey and then have the operation tomorrow.

Just worried because he is so thin already and been through so much. He was found abandoned in a box, then had to live at a rescue where no one wanted him because he is so shy, and then had stasis and now this!

So please good vibes for Walter, I'm just desperate for him to be happy :)

Walter is now home with Lola. The Vet said I could leave him there but I wanted him home to put him on a hot water bottle and so if he did die he was in a familiar place.

She said the bezoar was much larger than she had thought and has a very large incision on his tummy. He was lucky to get through the anaesthetic given his weight but still has lots of milestones to get over. He hasn't eaten yet which she said was fine because he has had Bupronorphine so is very drowsy, so I have to make sure he has eaten in the morning.

He looks sick, he looks even thinner :( And even Lola looks shaken up, she has been doing some messy poos but is at least eaten and pooing which is a good thing I guess!!

Please more vibes please. I am so scared I am going to loose him. He has had such a horrible life so far.

Last edited:
How awful, poor Bunny :cry:

I hope he can pull through

I hope so too. Thank you for your advice the other day. The Vet seemed very hopefully. She said he was fine with the sedative today. She is completely rabbit savvy and I absolutely trust her so I don't think her skills will be problematic :)

Sending lots of healing vibes to Walter and wishing him lots of luck for tomorrow. I hope all goes well, bless him and thinking of you too. xxx

I cannot begin to imagine the way youre feeling about this. Merlin has got necrotic fatty tissue and fatty growth stuff..a lipoma twined around his gi tract....inoperable sadly and when it flares up it strangles his gi system and was so lucky to pass his blockage and recover when it was dire.mHes had a few flare ups but the vets know now to take him in for at least a few days.

poor mite......at least the vet will be able to do their best to save him and keep him alive. I really feel fr you....hope all goes well and a good recovery. x

Please see the update!

Hi everyone, thanks for your vibes.

Please see the update from the top of the post.

Thanks

Kate, Walter and Lola

All the vibes I can muster for Walter.

I know how difficult it is for rabbits to recover from this surgery having in the past had one with the exact same condition. I suggest continue doing as you are and keep him warm and ensure he has adequate pain relief. The vet who operated on ours said there is a lot of suturing involved which would have to be very uncomfortable. Ours was syringed small quantities of water at a time so that his stomach was only partially filled to avoid any possible stretching. Recovery food such as Oxbow also in small quantities would be helpful to get him to start eating and keep motility in his GI tract.

Something to keep a watch on is his demeanour. Ours and others who have had this procedure have retreated very much into themselves to the point of depression, which I believe is due to the relatively high level of pain. If they slip too far into this they can lose some of the will to fight on. I really hope this does not happen with Walter as there are no medications other than pain relief of any assistance. Our little boy became very depressed but his bonded partner's constant attention together with a very skilful vet and lots of love and attention from his mummy and daddy got him through.

Please tell Walter to hang in; it is a tough fight to recovery but it can be won.

Back