• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny..possibly pregnant:(

Debs61

New Kit
Hello Everyone,
I need some advice please asap!!
We have just got a beautiful doe, 6mths old...the breeder we got her from had tried to breed her without success. Just had a text off the previous owner:(
He said that if she was pregnant then the kits would be due around anytime from August 30th up to Sept 1st!!!!! He said that he had left them alone to answer the phone for about 10mins...Im assuming thats long enough for the dirty boy to have his wicked way.
We didnt want a pregnant female and certainly never deliberately bought her for breeding, we just couldnt leave her where she was.... the conditions were awful. We have her booked into our vet on fri for a checkup etc.
How can I tell, (before we get her to the vet) if she is pregnant...what are the signs, do they get fat, stay the same, eat loads, eat the same, make a nest, get boobies etc etc!!!!
Any advice would be great thankyou.

Shes a dwarf breed and was mated..or not with the same breed.
We have her in a warm dry shed with 3 other bunnies(neutered) and a 5ft hutch to herself with loads of hay.

There are many more people on here whove taken in pregnant buns or buns given birth unexpectedly. Personally i have no experience but hope someones able to help. To take anybun away from a terrible situation is a rescue mission..but sadly your little bun will be replaced with even more and so it goes.
But at keast shes got a chance of a loving home. good luck.
:wave:

There is no way of knowing if she is pregnant unless you are very knowledgeable and know what to feel for. Even a vet could get it wrong. She won't eat more but she will start to make a nest. I would go with her not being pregnant from what the breeder said. But you will just have to wait and see. If she starts to build a nest come back if you need more help.

Many Thanks everyone.
Shes seems very settled and isnt stressed at all. Guess it just going to be a waiting game.
I will be reading the stickys and doing everything I can to help her.
Do I provide her with a nest box just in case she is pregnant, if so what do I use?

Just to let you know we have definite nesting going on, I cleaned the bunnies out last night and when I checked on this morning all her straw in the bedroom was gathered in a nest...along with her hay and she was still going!! No fur in there yet tho:cry:
I feel very sad for her and very angry at the old owner.
We will be doing everything we can for her and her kits (unless this is a phantom).
Will keep you updated.

Just to let you know we have definite nesting going on, I cleaned the bunnies out last night and when I checked on this morning all her straw in the bedroom was gathered in a nest...along with her hay and she was still going!! No fur in there yet tho:cry:
I feel very sad for her and very angry at the old owner.
We will be doing everything we can for her and her kits (unless this is a phantom).
Will keep you updated.

Fingers crossed its a phantom and she's clear. Poor bun.

Update on Aphrodite...
Still got a nest in her bedroom area..no fur there tho...doesnt like us looking in there either, also shes not too keen on being handled these last couple of days...normally shes up at hutch front waiting to be picked up, but runs away if we try and pick her up, isnt eating as much, but is eating some rabbit pellets and is mostly eating her hay and drinking plenty of water....poos in litter tray seem normal aswell.
Any advice would be great please..not sure what to do now:?

Update on Aphrodite...
Still got a nest in her bedroom area..no fur there tho...doesnt like us looking in there either, also shes not too keen on being handled these last couple of days...normally shes up at hutch front waiting to be picked up, but runs away if we try and pick her up, isnt eating as much, but is eating some rabbit pellets and is mostly eating her hay and drinking plenty of water....poos in litter tray seem normal aswell.
Any advice would be great please..not sure what to do now:?

I can't give any advice as non of my buns have ever have kits...but sending good vibes to you and your bun!

K x

Back