• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help sick rabbit

rab

Young Bun
Today I went out to go and see my rabbits and when I came up to the cage of one of my female rabbits named Chocolatechip her three babies came and welcomed me, but although she came to the front of the cage she was not as excited as she usually is and so I brought her inside but all she did was lay around and she wouldn't eat anything. Finally I got her to eat some regular food and she is moving around a bit. It has been very rainy lately and I do not know if that could be the problem or if she just had a stomach ache, for I took her off the regular food and had her eating straight grass for a while.

I did change her diet slowly by leaving some haying her cage, and when she seemed to have stopped eating it completely I took it out of her cage. Although, I changed her diet a few months ago, so I was thinking that she might be sick, and maybe I should give her some antibiotics.

I did change her diet slowly by leaving some haying her cage, and when she seemed to have stopped eating it completely I took it out of her cage. Although, I changed her diet a few months ago, so I was thinking that she might be sick, and maybe I should give her some antibiotics.

Do not self medicate or really attempt to diagnose. If your bunny is not eating properly or seems at all different, you should seek veterinary assistance.

Rabbits need hay all the time. What you do with her diet besides this will have an effect, if for instance you just stopped feeding her pellets/muesli one day and replaced that with grass, which is what it sounded like, but sorry if thats not what you meant. Going off any aspect of her food is definitely worrying, and I agree with GrahamL that she needs to see a vet.

Is she still feeding her babies?

Rabbits need hay all the time. What you do with her diet besides this will have an effect, if for instance you just stopped feeding her pellets/muesli one day and replaced that with grass, which is what it sounded like, but sorry if thats not what you meant. Going off any aspect of her food is definitely worrying, and I agree with GrahamL that she needs to see a vet.

Is she still feeding her babies?

I will put her back on the hay again and see if I can get an appointment with the vet, but her babies are now wined and the changing of her dieted took months to do.

I will put her back on the hay again and see if I can get an appointment with the vet, but her babies are now wined and the changing of her dieted took months to do.

Oh I see. Yes she definitely needs hay all the time, 80-90% of their diet should be hay, then whatever else you are feeding (pellets, muesli, grass, veggies etc). Definitely get her to see the vet - not eating is likely secondary to some sort of pain, and in itself is one of the first signs of gut stasis. Good luck.

Back