• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop bunny from biting.

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Hey everyone -

I brought home a baby lionhead last weekend (she was 13 weeks old then - so 14 weeks now) and so far I don't think it's going too badly. Each night she is put into a playpen to have a run around and I sit with her to get her used to me and I do try to stroke her but she's not too happy with that yet and runs away. She has learnt now not to panic when being picked up which I am really pleased with as we gave up too early with our boy we've had since February (neutered now I hasten to add) and we can't pick him up at all.

However - a couple of things that concern me - and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. When I put my hand inside her cage just to straighten things out or put food in or whatever - she thumps her back legs at me. It is getting better but.... Also, when I'm in her playpen with her, and do manage to stroke her - it's only when she has gone all submissive and scared. And these two things are telling me that she is still scared of me - which I hate. Is there anyway I can earn her trust quicker - or is it just a matter of time and patience?

Also - she has started biting! She does need to be brushed - really needs it every day. So I plonk myself down in her cage, put a cushion on my lap, pick her up (after a bit a struggle sometimes) and put her on the cushion and hold her gently with my hand sort under and over her ribcage, shoulders and in front. I don't hold tightly at all - just firmly - and then I start trying to brush her. But then she starts trying to reach down to bite my hand. Okay - she doens't like being brushed and has to get used to it (although her previous owner managed with no problem) but I really don't want to let her get away with trying to bite when I try doing something else she doesn't like. Any tips on nipping this in the bud before it gets worse?

It all just seems a bit of a struggle at the moment - a battle of wills in someways. She seems to dislike me apart from when I put food in for her. It's a bit upsetting in someways. I still love her to bits - but I just want her to be happier when with me I guess and I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I just don't know what!

Our other rabbit is lovely - very tame, and loving and affectionate - but I guess he had to go through the same process of learing to trust his mum and dad. Not sure if having a female makes a difference?

I assume she's unnuetered? The thumping when you enter her space sounds typically hormonal and will likely stop once she's spayed.

Rabbits in general don't like being held. Can you pick her up and put her somewhere else while you brush? I find if I try to brush them in their own space it just doesn't work. They need to be somewhere they don't know intimately. So I take them outside and sit on a chair and put them on my lap in their outdoor run.

To gain their trust I find the best thing is to sit with them but not try to stroke or pick them up. Also try to limit picking her up, to them it's a predator picking them up. Instead if you sit with them and be non-threatening they learn that you aren't a threat.

I assume she's unnuetered? The thumping when you enter her space sounds typically hormonal and will likely stop once she's spayed.

Rabbits in general don't like being held. Can you pick her up and put her somewhere else while you brush? I find if I try to brush them in their own space it just doesn't work. They need to be somewhere they don't know intimately. So I take them outside and sit on a chair and put them on my lap in their outdoor run.

To gain their trust I find the best thing is to sit with them but not try to stroke or pick them up. Also try to limit picking her up, to them it's a predator picking them up. Instead if you sit with them and be non-threatening they learn that you aren't a threat.

:thumb:

Back