• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies and Mum not eating

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Went into Asda and got some reduced broccoli for the bunnies and was chatting about them to the checkout operator who told me she has a friend with a bunny who has unexpectedly had babies.

The bunny stopped eating and the friend took her to the vet who said she had a static tummy(?) and gave her some meds and the next day (yesterday) the bunny gave birth to five kittens. Mummy bunny still isn't eating and the vet has given some meds but said he thinks the bun will die:(

It sounds like the vet isn't terribly bunny savvy. The idea of Mum and babies dying because no-one knows what to do really upset me so I checked if the friend was local (she is) and gave the girl my number to pass on to her friend. She said her friend hasn't a clue what to do and would be happy to let the Mum go to a rescue if they could help. I know there isn't much chance of that with rescues being full to bursting but wondered what, if anything, I can do to help if her friend does call me.

I've volunteered at a rescue but never hand reared baby bunnies but would be willing to give it a go, although I know the chance of them surviving is very small.

Hopefully, she will 'phone and I can go and see Mum and find out what medication she has been given and direct her to a more bunny savvy vet. It doesn't sound like she had been advised to syringe feed and the vet didn't want to see bun or babies again - just said Mum would probably die:cry:

Any advice would be welcome. I so hope she does 'phone me.

It is normal for a Doe to stop eating about 12 hours before kindling. I suspect that now stress is playing a major part in her anorexia. Did she eat the placenta ?

I doubt that the owner would know. From the girl I spoke to in Asda her friend knows nothing about rabbits:(

I just hope that I do get a call. Keep worrying about this poor Bunny Mummy and her kits.

I doubt that the owner would know. From the girl I spoke to in Asda her friend knows nothing about rabbits:(

I just hope that I do get a call. Keep worrying about this poor Bunny Mummy and her kits.

She'd know if there was or was not placenta on the hutch floor surely :?

Back