• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

free range bunny_ wire chewing

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Hi my bunnies live in my room and at night they keep me awake. I was thinking of bunny-proofing my room so they would have more room and would not chew at their cages soo much( its driving me crazy!!!:(). Do you think that would make them happier AND quieter?

Yah letting them free range would mean they could choose where they want to go etc, plus stops that awful cage rattling.
Angel used to do it and I swear it was just to annoy me :lol:
She'd be out all day supervised then when it was time to put her inside for the night, ( when i lived at my mum and dads house) she'd rattle the cage all night!
Just make sure you think of all the possible things your buns might find interesting.
Parsley likes to pull dvd's off the shelf, especially ones with a cardboard sleeve. (he ate bill bailey the other night there)
And he also chewed through my oh wires for his speakers and keyboard ;) not parsley's fault oh moved the desk a bit away from the wall even though i warned him :lol:

Excellent idea to let them freerange :D

Wires are our main problem here. There are none in the kitchen/diner that Louie can get to but, in the living room, there are computer wires and wires for the TV, Sky etc.

When we are not in the room, I use puppy pens to block off both areas, not very pretty but they do the job!

Alternatively, conduit is very effective and fairly cheap.

Good luck!

That sounds like a great idea!

not exactly the same, but when I had my hamster in my room, when I'd go to bed at night, he'd run and run and run in his wheel. It drove me nuts!

I want Lola to be able to free range too. At the moment, she is under supervision, and then back in the cage at night. On the few occasions she has chewed things - like through my telephone cord - so I'm hoping once she's more well trained she won't.
I like the idea of the puppy play pen, to block off a few of the areas, though! Great idea!

I have to say personally I never get how people struggle to sleep with animal noise. I have 15 rats, 5 mice and now 2 rabbits in a room. (Thats 2 wheels, 7 water bottles) The girl rats bite the bars (right next to my bed) when in heat.

Does your rabbit have adiquate toys to keep her entertained during the night? Just a passing thought that wasn't mentioned by other posters.

Back