• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is ulcer inside the rabbit's mouth difficult to treat?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My bun Minnie has some drooling and refuse to eat as of 2 days ago. So I took her to the vet and the vet put her under a GA, and discover there are ulcers inside her mouth in various location. His treatment is ABX, and some sort of liquid spray.

Has any1 treat something like this before? Is it difficult to heal? And how long?

As to the cause, it's a mystery, it can be cause by toxic plant, some sort of toxin, and liver or kidney damage. So if it is a toxic plant, it has to be recent, and in my backyard, there is just grass, the veggies in the garden, and the assorted weed of different kind in the veggies garden. So unless 1 of those are toxic, which would be unusual

So that left liver or kidney failure. Her diet is normal until Sat. So if it were liver or kidney failure, and she just turn 6 yr. old, is it hopeful?

I thought that ulcers in a bunnies mouth were generally due to dental problems. Did the vet rule that out?

Another cause can be some sort of fungal infection like Thrush. I am not sure on the prognosis from ulcers caused by liver / kidney issues but I have heard that it can be a side effect of this :(.

I would expect that the vet should give you some Metacam or similar. Has she lost any weight due to not eating? Just that if you get Metacam and bun is anorexic then she will need some gut meds too.

I look at the garden plants in the veggie garden. I don't think they are poisonous, they are the very same in the past 14 yr., but I'll show it to the vet. However, in my spinach, at the top of the spinach, there is black dot size insect eggs, many yr. ago, I didn't realize they are insect eggs and eat them raw, and I had stomach ache. Could those insect eggs cause ulcer in the mouth?

okay, here's an update. It's not the plants. It could be liver or kidney failure. But there is another theory: I gives my 2 buns some fruits in the June to Aug. period. But Minnie is dominant, so she eats her shares and the portion mean for the other bun. So now comes an advance question whether the sugar from these fruits can alter her GI tract, in turn produces toxin back to her mouth?

In short, it's similar to that story from the movie A Few Good Men.

I have had a few bunnies with mouth ulcers. As Kermit says the majority were caused by dental problems.

One rabbit did have them as a result of acute kidney failure but his other symptoms were so severe that ulcers were the least of our worried. By the time ulcers developed he was seriously unwell and was off food and practically collapsed in his water bowl. Bless his heart, he had only just been given to.us but there was nothing we could do for him.

With the dental ulcers we have always treated with pain relief and antepsin liquid

Just to add the acid in some fruits like apples can cause sores in the mouths of Guinea pigs so maybe a similar thing could happen in a rabbit. It has never happened to any of mine but I very rarely give them fruit.

I thought that ulcers in a bunnies mouth were generally due to dental problems. Did the vet rule that out?

Another cause can be some sort of fungal infection like Thrush. I am not sure on the prognosis from ulcers caused by liver / kidney issues but I have heard that it can be a side effect of this :(.

I would expect that the vet should give you some Metacam or similar. Has she lost any weight due to not eating? Just that if you get Metacam and bun is anorexic then she will need some gut meds too.

Yes, practically no dental issue, he did see the ulcers in her mouth. Her weight is very good, 6 lb., didn't lose any weight. There is small improvement today (day 2), she's eating a few piece of pellet on her own. We should be able to get rid of the ulcer, the only question is, how did it happen?

our rabbit showed no sign of serious dental disease but a small ulcer on her tongue that was nasty. so my vet took her to the veterinary hospital put her under a teeny amount of gas so she could file the little spikes down even though its considered NOT a dental disease at that stage.
Her mouth is very damaged....even shocked our vet...ulcers so big they have made the mouth and gums swell up red and inflammed. shes in a lot of pain...but since these little spikes called spurs on her teeth were filed away.she was eatingbat the vets before i took her home this afternoon.

see the pictures on this site...the furst one shows a sharp spike or spur on thebrabbits tooth. further down they have a picture of an ulcer in their rabbits mouth.

http://www.boingonline.com/dental_problems.html

My dental bun had a gum ulcer a couple of weeks ago - cleared up with Penicillin injection & Metacam. Not sure about non dental related ulcers and how they can be cause - could she have eaten anything sharp?

Back