• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What don't rabbits like the taste of?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well Pebbles has lost his jumper in the garden somewhere, he keeps getting it off. So I am going to get some bandaging and wrap it around him. What is it that rabbits don't like the taste of? So that I can stop Rosie chewing at the are?

I thought onion and garlic were both unsafe? If anyone tells me I didn't have to dig up all the wild garlic in my garden I may murder someone :lol:

I thought onion and garlic were both unsafe? If anyone tells me I didn't have to dig up all the wild garlic in my garden I may murder someone :lol:

Hmm I've definitely read that's its safe but you wont get many rabbits to eat it

ETA: Just done a google search, a few sites say onion is toxic so I'd stay away from that (although I highly doubt they'd want to eat it), the advice on garlic seems to be mixed. Sorry about that, I'll edit my original post, I wish people wouldn't write such rubbish in animal care books (I can't remember which book it was now but I'm sure thats where I read it)

Hmm I've definitely read that's its safe but you wont get many rabbits to eat it

ETA: Just done a google search, a few sites say onion is toxic so I'd stay away from that (although I highly doubt they'd want to eat it), the advice on garlic seems to be mixed. Sorry about that, I'll edit my original post, I wish people wouldn't write such rubbish in animal care books (I can't remember which book it was now but I'm sure thats where I read it)

I know what you mean, I got a couple of animal care books for christmas and reading them was just like :shock:, they gave such awful advice.

I know what you mean, I got a couple of animal care books for christmas and reading them was just like :shock:, they gave such awful advice.

Yeahh I know, I found some last year I got when I was younger and went through and scribbled out all the bad advice, nearly half of each book ended up being crossed out :?

Anything from the onion or garlic family is VERY toxic.

onions (or anything from the onion family) contains a compound called Allyl Propyl Disulphide. Allyl Propyl Disulphide actually harms RBCs (red blood cells). The actual condition they can get from ingesting onions is Heinz body anemia. Allyl Propyl Disulphide actually breaks down haemoglobin and causes irreversible damage to the RBCs. Then you have the oxidative effect of onion oil which damages the cells surrounding membranes which again weakens RBCs. The bodys method of of sorting out damaged RBCs is to destroy them, resulting in Heinz body anemia.

thanks guys :) It is just incase Rosie decides to try biting the bandaging off as I don't think it would be as strong as the jumper which is quite thick.

My boyfriend says Citronella (?) is good for making dogs and cats not want to chew stuff, anyone experienced it with rabbits? Also what about anti chew stuff for cats and dogs? Would that work?

I already know Chives, Onion and Garlic are very toxic so always stay away from that

My boyfriend says Citronella (?) is good for making dogs and cats not want to chew stuff, anyone experienced it with rabbits? Also what about anti chew stuff for cats and dogs? Would that work?

Citronella is not suitable for bunnies. I would also avoid anything marketed for cats and dogs - I did try rabbit specific chew-stop spray but found it useless personally.

Back