• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible information given out on

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
We have let the BBC / Blue Peter know what we think about rabbits being dressed up, and carried in a tonic immobolity stance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m2gj6 watch from 27.30 mins - dreadful.

If you would also like to complain here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ - for anyone that doesn't know - placing a rabbit on to his / her back provokes a fear response which makes them play dead. They are not 'relaxed' nor in a 'trance', they are terrified. We do not want Blue Peter to encourage children to terrify their rabbits, nor to dress them up as though they were toys. We encourage the pairing up of rabbits, in neutered pairs or compaitible groups, but not in the manner proposed in the clip. Let's hope we can stop this before it goes out.

Likewise the latest episode of QI had Stephen Fry and co discussing tonic immobility in various species, including rabbits. This can be found here beginning at 3.27 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wwrgt/QI_Series_H_Hypnosis_Hallucinations_and_Hysteria/ Please also let the BBC know that this is unacceptable and request that they issue a statement on QI at the very next opportunity to say that it is not a 'trick' that should be attempted.

Have watched the clip and sent a complaint. I have also suggested that they look at how they consider animal welfare issue when choosing to screen items like this and suggested that they are not seeking or getting the right advice.

Haven't watched but it sounds awful, when I went on blue peter the 'blue peter vet' was brilliant and sent a really good message across about rabbits needing hay and how to check their health, seems like they've done a big step back

I watched the Blue Peter one on the link above and have just sent a complaint.

Will try and do the other one tomorrow.

i have also complained. and asked for a reply just to see what drivil they come up with. I mean, i know that that young girl doesnt mean to harm her rabbit aas such. and that's where good education comes in and not showing fricking rabbit wedding on bloody blue peter

Oh for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people think about and do such things?!!! Obviously this really replicates natural bunny behaviour.........................NOT!!!!

This sends out all the wrong signals. Rabbits are not toys to be dressed up. They are sensitive, intelligent, inquisitive, charming and above all....................living and breathing animals.

Not plastic, disposable and child friendly toys.:evil:

I don't suppose someone clever could right a template complaint letter for those of us who would like to complain but are pushed for time? Would be good for the BBC to see that lots of people care about this sort of thing?

I have a perception that if the same complain is submitted repeatedly it looks less like the general populus has a concern and more like there is a specific group of people who have a concern which they might take less seriously. I think you could be brief and just say it's not appropriate to hold rabbits like that, it causes an extreme stress response and should not be shown or promoted.

Just an update (there are 2 threads going on this at the moment) that the BBC are not showing this item. This is the email that I and several others have recieved.

Thank you for contacting the BBC regarding the proposed transmission of an item involving rabbits on 'Blue Peter'.

We have reviewed our plans regarding this material and have decided not to transmit the item. We want to assure you that 'Blue Peter' takes animal welfare very seriously.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

Just an update (there are 2 threads going on this at the moment) that the BBC are not showing this item. This is the email that I and several others have recieved.

Thank you for contacting the BBC regarding the proposed transmission of an item involving rabbits on 'Blue Peter'.

We have reviewed our plans regarding this material and have decided not to transmit the item. We want to assure you that 'Blue Peter' takes animal welfare very seriously.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

Brilliant news :D

I just recieved the same reply. :D At least they're not going to broadcast it but even then, I would have liked a reply stating what theyre going to do instead or if theyre going to do some rabbit education or something.

That episode whith the clip is now not available on i-player either but I'm not sure if that would have happened anyway.

I've only just found this thread, so I couldn't get involved,

But - I wanted to say a big CONGRATS!! to all of you know stopped this awful segment from showing!

Let's keep it up, and make the world a better place for bunnies and people alike!

:thumb::love:

I recorded BP today and have just watched it. They did an "Edinburgh Festival Special" so it looks as if they completely replaced the advertised show. I was hoping they would mention why they dropped the article but looks like they just shelved the whole thing without a word.

Back