• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blue Peter rabbit welfare fail...

I've complained as the rwaf have asked, hope it does some good. It wouldnt allow paragraphing for some reason :?

On this Blue Peter programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m2gj6 they show at about 27:30 onwards some rabbits in a wedding. Not only are these animals dressed up, but they also look terrified, and one is being 'tranced', no doubt to make sure it cannot get away. Trancing is a state of tonic immobility that is an extreme fear response in rabbits - it is highly stressful, terrifying, and can be damaging to health if left in the position for too long. Showing on a programme like Blue Peter will undoubtably result in many children copying this. Many children have rabbits as pets and many watch Blue Peter - this could be disatrous for animal welfare. Dr Anne McBride, a rabbit expert, explains trancing here: http://www.hopperhome.com/Trancing Rabbits-Tonic Immobility .pdf As prey animals, rabbits are usually stressed in new situations and it is reccommended that you do not dress them up partly for this reason. The other reason is that a rabbit's muscles are powerful enough to break their own backs or necks if they struggle, a risk which is obviously heightened when trying to dress them in silly outfits. Dressing rabbits up also presents them to the children as toys, which they are not. I would strongly reccommend that this segment is pulled, and that there are no dressed up or tranced rabbits on your show. After all, Blue Peter is an educational programme, and it would be a shame for it to advocate poor animal welfare for children.

Complained too! Can't believe a programmed like this would show this... This will just encourage More children wanting rabbits to play with and more in rescue... They will just waste all our hard work on promoting rabbit welfare are they for real!

urgh :( it really is horrendous. way to go BBC, treating live animals as children's toys. >_< really hope they get enough complaints to warrant them pulling the segment.

mrs angry from lancashire strikes again - ranting, probably inaccurately...

i saw on the internet the end of Blue Peter - and was horrified to see that rabbits were being abused. Rabbits were dressed in clothing. They were in a tonic state ('tranced' - turned over on their backs, terrified - this is a defence against a predator and is a health risk to the rabbit) and they were being 'married' to each other by children. It was the sort of thing that happened in the 1960s - I certainly did not expect to see it today. The presenter referred to it as 'funny' - being cruel to animals is not funny. Please ensure that when the full article goes out, a proper tone is taken - this is an abuse of animals, no-one should dress a rabbit in clothes, rabbits should not be tranced, rabbits should not be carried or held above the ground (they think they have been caught by a hawk if that happens), and animals do not 'get married'. You might also add that rabbits are unsuitable pets for children as they are 'exotic' pets, expensive to keep properly, they don't like to be touched or held and they can give nasty kicks, scratches and bites. They should not be kept singly. You could show some suitable rabbit accommodation - please check it meets the welfare guidelines. I am horrified that you would broadcast such inappropriate behaviour to children and call it 'funny'.

This Mrs Angry has also responded. Suggested that this was at odds with BP's image as it was promoting unwitting cruelty to animals (prob not best wording) as children all over the country look to BP as a good example, and that they're not toys, they're living beings, very backward looking for the 21st century, rant rant rant

I thought BP would consult an animal expert/vet on any animal related stuff they were showing. Would that idea get past a vet? :(

Complained, i wonder if these rabbits are even neutered before the 'wedding'. And whether they are bonded properly.

The website keeps confusing me :( Not very good at these things.

But I was hoping to say that they should use their television position (since they broadcast to younger viewers) to help promote animal welfare and tell them about rabbit rescues and how many rabbits are abandoned and how to properly take care of it. It it just using their position to help broadcast good helpful advice, to help the rabbit welfare movement. Instead of showing them cute pictures of rabbits all dressed up like toys :( because that is the impression children will get. That rabbits are just toys. Which I find very irresponsible of them. I always remember Blue Peter being quite helpful towards promoting causes and charities.

Done. Disgusting. I am sick of the Beeb treating rabbits like they're nothing - remember the fiasco "The Magicians" caused? Do they never learn??!!

Would it have been that difficult to do a proper segment on rabbits? They don't even need to be in the studio, it could have been pre-recorded much like this "wedding" thing was. They could have played on the "being in love" thing by discussing bonding. How many rabbits are sat in the hutch alone at the bottom of the garden? It could have actually made a difference to their lives. Argh, sorry, think I need to calm down. I just remember being really into Blue Peter myself as a child and copying a good deal of what I saw (admittedly mostly arty crafty things, but still).

Last edited:
What was the outcome of the complaints about the Magicians? I remember sending another one of my classic emails about that.

I recall they gave a stock reply to everybody about how the rabbits came from Amazing Animals and they were therefore justified in using them in the show. :evil:

Ah i remember now, thanks :) I know Amazing Animals as it's by me and that is where my Amber came from (via a good pet shop before i knew any better). Cheers for the recap ;)

Back