• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a difference a week makes….(and a quick question)

IkkiN

Young Bun
Took Poppy to the vet last Monday for a second opinion. The locum vet there took one look at her and diagnosed syphilis (explained in previous post). On the Saturday, we took her back to receive a penicillin injection. On this occasion, we saw they RWA recommended savvy vet who explained the treatment but also said there could be other possibilities for the symptoms Poppy was displaying (Syphilis, ring worm, Shope Pappiloma, or Shope fibroma virus (caused by the myxo vaccination) whilst the last two where incurable they would be manageable.

On the vet’s advice, we would start to treat Poppy for Syphilis and see how she responded to the treatment – 3 penicillin injections - If there were no signs of improvement within two weeks we would go down the ring worm route and so on…

Well, the improvement is AMAZING! :thumb: Poppy looks so much better, the "scabs" (not sure what they are actually called! :oops: ) on her lips and eyes have gone, her fur has grown back and best of all, her little eyes are sparkling again :love: she still has a scab on her face next to her nose but I’m more confident that this too will go in due course. Poppy is almost back to the bunny we know and love very much.
We are going back to the vets tonight for her second injection, but we are so pleased with the progress she is making.

Our original vet stated they were keratin horns; the “treatment” –she said-was to rip (literally) the scabs off. It looked painful for Poppy and they would just continue to grow back. I asked for the “horns” to be sent for analysis but this was met with a condescending “waste of time; I’ve told you what it is. Expensive etc). She also stated that she sees this all the time on dogs and sometimes cats ("though never before on a rabbit") and this is what you do. :shock:
I feel so sad and angry with myself that Poppy had to suffer a) with the “scabs” being ripped off and b) that it continued for as long as it did.
Unconvinced that this was the best “treatment” Poppy could receive we sought a second opinion and found the vet stated above thanks to the RWA.
I have already registered Tokyo with the same vet and have no intention of returning to the previous one.

So, my QUESTION is:
Should I phone the previous practice, deregister my bunnies, explain the situation and what the diagnosis was (perhaps I just want to rant because Poppy had to suffer…?) or, should I let it go, move on and be thankful that Poppy is getting better?
I simply couldn’t bear the thought that another bun may receive the same kind of treatment for something that is seemingly, so obvious (to those in the know) and reasonably easy to treat.
Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated…am I just being silly?

Write a letter to them stating why you are reregistering them, they might read it, but I will tell them that they were wrong!

Glad she's getting better :love:

I think you need to write a polite letter explaining the situation and asking for them to let you know what the outcome of your complaint will be (for example will that vet have to do extra training for rabbits)

I would go for 'constructive criticism' r(i.e. polite letter) ather than a rant on the basis that it would give a greater chance of getting them to up their game, and prevent future suffering.

Thanks for your replies. I think a letter is a much better idea that ranting on the phone!
Once i've written it, I may get you to cast an eye over it ;)

Back