• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried my rabbit might have flystrike

HALEY.R

New Kit
PLEASE CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW WHAT FLYSTRIKE LOOKS LIKE-MY RABBIT GEORGE HAD POOH STUCK ON HIS BEHIND SO I CLEANED HIM UP & NOTICED 2 EXTRA SKIN FLAPS NEAR HIS BEHIND,CANT SEE NO MAGGOTS,IM ALL NEW TO THIS-THANKS HALEY:cry:

the best thing to do is to take him to a vet for a clean up and they can check for eggs and maggots. i had a bunny with flystrike in the advanced stages and it was nasty. so really a vet check is a must if your not sure. do you know whats causing the mucky bottom? how old is he? sorry for the questions but a mucky bun can be prevented if they are on the right diet which was my problem before.

welcome to the forum by the way:wave:

PLEASE CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW WHAT FLYSTRIKE LOOKS LIKE-MY RABBIT GEORGE HAD POOH STUCK ON HIS BEHIND SO I CLEANED HIM UP & NOTICED 2 EXTRA SKIN FLAPS NEAR HIS BEHIND,CANT SEE NO MAGGOTS,IM ALL NEW TO THIS-THANKS HALEY:cry:

Hi Haley. Please call your out of hours vet and see what they say. I really hope that bun is ok.

Flystrike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1CBsPs6AiQ

Or could you be seeing the scent glands

scentglands2.jpg

If in any doubt at all seek Veterinary attention. Flystrike can kill in just a few hours.

Flystrike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1CBsPs6AiQ

Or could you be seeing the scent glands

scentglands2.jpg

If in any doubt at all seek Veterinary attention. Flystrike can kill in just a few hours.

MMMmmm bet you put a peg on your nose taking that image!!! all ours seem to have very full scent glands at present.

OP - it is really well worth having a vet check the rabbit as sometimes you won't be able to see the fly eggs or even the maggots.

Also the vet may help talk you through why your rabbit had a pooey backside - that is not normal for a rabbit. It may be that the diet needs tweaking.

:wave: HI EVERYONE

sorry i didn't get back earlier but my internet connection went & then i forgot my password & coudnt get back on:( -well george did not have fly strike it was his testicles :eek:ops thank you to all that gave me some advice-

Back