• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do animals understand death?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know rabbits should see the body of a partner if it dies so they know it's dead but what do they feel or think when they see the other rabbit has died? Do they feel sadness or do they just realize that their partner isn't there any more. When Molly died she wasn't in the hutch, she'd managed to get out and got hit by a car, and Archie got out too, but I don't think he got into the front garden so probably didn't see Molly get hit by the car. So all he probably saw/knew was Molly got out of the hutch and then when I found her body I put in in the hutch. Since her death he won't go on the gravel (which is by the gate where Molly got out) could that be because he knows Molly went that way and died or do rabbits not think like that?
Also, if an owner moves out or passes away, do you think they really notice? Do they wonder where they've gone? I mean if they have other people to look after them? Do they notice the individual person or do you think they just see all humans as the people who bring food and care for them? Sorry for all these questions, I don't really understand how rabbits minds work or how much they understand.

I don't think anyone knows how rabbits think or how thy feel. We just have to respect that they have feelings and thoughts and be content with that. One of my buns has just lost his partner, she was nearly 9, but as to how he is feeling I just don't know. These things happen and rabbits generally cope very well. He knows he is loved and cared for and that's all I can do for him. I do feel for him but life has to go on.

My friends lived in the country on a road that was a bit of a rat run and had 2 cats get killed on the road, and always showed the remaining cat (same cat each time) the body. When it happened a third time the remaining cat looked at them with such a face they were convinced he thought they were killing the other cats.
I've had varying degrees of response with rats when showing them their deceased buddy and I think the reaction depends very much on the individual animal but I think they understand death.

I know for a fact that rabbits (at least my rabbits, but that may be an individual thing) can tell people apart. Boris is a great example of that. He hates everyone in my family except me. When my sister or mum try to approach him (which they barely do anymore), he lunges at them and growls. He'd never do that to me unless I've startled him, in fact as soon as he hears me coming downstairs he runs to the door to greet me. I often see him do a little binky at the sight of me as well. If I go away he misses me and takes it out on me when I get back, usually by sulking and thus "punishing" me for leaving him. This hasn't been happening as much since he bonded with Bella, but when he lived alone it happened quite frequently.

Bella is the same. Although she doesn't exactly hate anybody (she's way too social for that!), she definitely knows I'm her mummy. She will let other people stroke her and such, but she never grooms them back in return. She only ever does this with me (and Boris).

Yes I think they'd notice if the owner went away/died. I know Bumble would Bumble only ever grooms me OH has often tried to trick her by sliding his hand over mine when she's grooming me and as soon as his hand's in her way she'll stop.

Ruthie xxx

One of my soul bunnies Fiver was put to sleep in July 2008. He used to lick me all the time before he was bonded to his two little girlfriends, Button and Boo - afterwards he only groomed them! Button passed away in 2007 and Fiver started to show symptoms of EC in early 2008. By July his condition had worsened considerably. Despite also having been treated Boo also developed severe symptoms over the course of a week. Boo was put to sleep first and Fiver struggled to reach her. He then turned and started to lick my hands just as my vet went to put the needle in.

It broke my heart - my fluffy boy.

Not sure about losing a partner as I've not had to deal with that yet.

But they definitely remember people, and konw the difference. ... the only person rupert has ever bitten is my fil (who does my head in)!

They're not their usual selves if both me and hubby aren't there - they just know. And my hubby said that last year when i went away, they kept looiking for me in the morning and the evening. They only listen to me and tia only lets me stroke her face :)

Rabbits can certainly grieve if a partner is lost - how they react to that loss depends on the rabbit and its personality. Some will become destructive, some will just got into themselves, some will stop eating all together.

It's also important post-death (as long as not by contagious illness etc) for a bonded friend to see the dead partner, so they understand that they are gone :( So sad to see. Forutnately, i've not had to go there yet.

Im really on the fence on this one as Ive done it both ways.
People say its important for rabbbits to see there lost partner so I did that.... It was awful... and my remaining rabbit got ill.. Ive also done it the other way and not shown them and bunny just got on with it..
When one of my cats passed he was very close to my dog at the time.... so i showed my dog the cat. We buried the cat in the garden and the dog laid on his grave for days.... it was awful.... so sad
sorry..... Im not much help as although ive been there and done it.... i dont think there is an easy way to overcome their grief :(

I had 2 girls who lived together, when one died, the other one saw her dead. She didn't seem up or down, but they had been a very difficult bond.

We got another bunny to keep her company who unfortunately died only 3 weeks after he came to live with us. She didn't see him dead. She knew he was ill as he had collapsed and she was trying to nudge him to get up and she knew we took him away (to the vets - had to PTS) What she was like in the following few weeks, I could only describe as "depressed". I honestly thought she would just give up and die herself, but a couple of months later we got her a friend and we never looked back. They were always together and he outlived her. He was with her when she died, and he was pretty quiet until he too got new friends.

I don't know how much they understand but I am certain they feel some sort of pain in bereavement but I can't understand how they feel. Maybe they feel like I do about my bunny that went missing - not knowing but feeling sadness and some sort of acceptance that she won't come back :(

Back