• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Walters weight loss ~300g

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi Walter has lost about 300g going from 1.2kg to 930g in about 3 months. I noticed he had lost about 100g a month ago but got a surprise when I weighed him today and found out that he had lost more.

I know the most common reason is teeth problems. He eats well including a good amount of hay and science selective/fiba first. Its difficult because he is part of a pair and someone seems to do lovely big poos and someone seems to do slightly smaller ones! So I'm not sure whose is whose!

I'm thinking a trip to the vets for him, but wondered if there is anything I need to be aware of specifically or anything else I can do.

Is it worth me separating them for a little bit to see whose poos are whose?

Vet trip tomorrow, definitely.

He may have Dental problems meaning that the other Rabbit is eating most of the food. The small poos are probably Walters and indicate that his guts have reduced motility.

There are other possible causes of weight loss such as a chronic infection or Kidney/Liver problems.

Given that his weight loss is significant a Vet consultation is needed as a matter of urgency. For a start if he does need a Dental he cant afford to lose any more weight as he is already at a very low level for a GA.

Vet trip tomorrow, definitely.

He may have Dental problems meaning that the other Rabbit is eating most of the food. The small poos are probably Walters and indicate that his guts have reduced motility.

There are other possible causes of weight loss such as a chronic infection or Kidney/Liver problems.

Given that his weight loss is significant a Vet consultation is needed as a matter of urgency. For a start if he does need a Dental he cant afford to lose any more weight as he is already at a very low level for a GA.

Oh this makes me very sad. I really hope something isn't up.

Back